First ride on new bike 02 fx470E husaberg

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Note: 02 Husaberg FX470E New, excess inventory, never rode.
http://www.husaberg.com.au/bikes.jsp?bike_id=2220&subcat_id=2219&cat_id=2196

This bike was a huge jump from a kdx! Better suspension, better everything. Going from a two stroke to four stroke took some getting used to! Being brand new she was still getting broke in. So the idle keep creeping up. In turn it made me push into the corners? Both days were short 40-mile runs in adverse weather conditions. Rainy, snowy, tight, hilly, sandy, rocky muddy, slimy and rooty trail" (It was a great day!) Over all this bike felt very stiff & fast! The bike felt bit tighter than the old kdx. But I think adjusting the handlebars will solve that. The suspension felt a bit harsh. Minor adjustments will be needed. The motor had XR stump pulling qualities. But scary fast top end. The bike felt very stiff and turned very fast ,"I had a competent tuner/racer ride it, he said it felt like a 200 exc. in the way it handled, and that he could work with it. Coming from this guy that's a thumbs up!" Over all I'm very happy with it. It took a leap of faith to go with a Husaberg :ugg: with the lack of dealerships and a history of poor parts delivery service? With the price of $4800 I just couldn't pass it up. My dealer "Euro Motors" assured me that the parts issues were history. I ordered a lighting kit and had it was in four days. Time will tell? I'll keep up dating Husaberg's over all performance and services!

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Marlin - Do you have any real-world weight comparison figures between the Berg and KDX? Either way, how does it "feel"? Lighter? Top-heavy? More flickable? Easier or harder to turn in the tight stuff?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
The Berg, 109 Kilograms equals 240.304 Pounds; my kdx has an ims tank so it's heavier than stock. isn't the kdx like 231 dry weight? The bike is very nibble, has great brakes, all the goodies that I wanted. Even when ordering my dealer told me most of the part number are ktm? On the under side of the number plate it say's ktm.

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
pat sweet bike one of the guys i work with has the 03 fe450 that is a awesome bike so i imagine yours is a bit faster and has more "hit" to it..they seem to be quality bikes with excellent components on them! enjoy it!

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
$4300!!! I would have jumped all over that also! Good deal, and I wouldn't worry about the part issues. When you need it, you'll find a way to get it. Lot's of support out there for Husaberg still. Good luck with it.

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
Hi Marlin, glad to hear you are enjoying the new ride. I wanted to let you know that the fx bergs are stiffer than an fe as they are set up like the mx suspension, whereas the fe is for enduro. I am sure your tuner will help you out there.

I can say that KTM has made a firm comittment to keep the parts flowing here in the states to avoid lawsuits. However, don't expect to see a dedicated race team here in the states anytime soon. Rumor has it that KTM USA is dead set against that! They already have their hands full with Hondas blowing by them... and the last thing they want are Husabergs blowing by them as well!

Good luck with the bike, visit husaberg.org for maintenance tips.

John

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Thanks for all the great support fellow Euro riders of the world! Race teams in the USA no big deal. If they just keep the bikes selling and part flowing I'd be very happy. As for Ktm of America, I'm sure berg is going to need their help. Wouldn’t it be neat if they brought a second line of bike in like Buick & Chevy’s? It will never happen @ the corporate level but I have seen at least one dealer ship doing it.

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
Exactly Marlin. I have wonderd for years as to why KTM is so reticent to market Husabergs in the states. We the dirt bike consumers would benefit greatly from this.

Think about how there are so many Euro bikes out there that are great in their own right, but so few people trust the company behind them. Whereas Husaberg, is owned by KTM. If it were marketed correctly here in the states, I would think their success would rival that of KTM's!

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
Some very good points! All the euro bikes out there are great bikes. TM, GasGas, Husaberg, KTM. Yes, people that normaly buy Jap bikes are scared away from euro bikes because of the part availability issues. It's a shame. Personally, I'd love a new TM300xc

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
the 04 husabergs seem to be sweet They come with a 39 and 41 mm keihen carb. this alone would make for a quick circle around even the monstrous 525 ktm. husaberg really did do their homework because even the 2000 models are ahead of their game. they have only gotten better in the past few years while it took 3 years for ktm to develop their own good bike yet I still haven t found the great one yet. thats not to mention they had to buy berg to just get close

Top Bottom