Shorgasm

Jan 15, 2005
Well today we went to Ocala to ride the bikes we just got.Now mind you it's been a looooong time since I have ridden dirt.I just got this CR500R this week and have been well warned of it..
I've been riding bikse since I was 8yo...not a newbie by anmy stretch...But never had a 500 2-stroke.

We rode with some good friends of mine the list reads..2 04 YZF450's 2 KX 250's 1 YZF250 and my 92 CR500R....The stories of this beast are true....The 450's are fast for sure but good god almighty this CR is an animal.

I had been told of 5th gear(top gear) wheelies out of nowhere...I decided to test this theory on some long dirt roads....I actually thought I was in 3rd or 4th...nope!....5th and mid rpm nail the throttle and the front comes right up and over if your not careful..I would guess in the 60 mph range..Ran my buddy's 99 KX250 with him in 4th and me in 5th..It wasn't just that it was faster or just pulled away..It ran away.. We tried it a few times with him getting the jump and as soon as I hit the throttle it's all over......Very impressed with a bike that is this old.

Now starting the thing is another matter...My boots now have the entire mid-section gone..I couldn't kick it over the entire day.Someone ele would have to kick her over..word to the wise..GOOD BOOTS are a must.

CRspode

May 6, 2001
To start it when cold, lean the bike over till some gas rolls out of the carb a little. Then rock it back and forth in second gear a few times, put it in neutral, pull up the choke and kick it in a manly way with no throttle. This method always starts mine from cold in the first kick or two. After warming up, just a good kick gets it going again.

HTH,

Scott

Shorgasm

Jan 15, 2005
Oh it wasn't hard to start just that I couldn't kick her over cause my boot got destroyed earlier.No one else took more than three kicks to start it warm.. :rotfl:

I didn't have the finds to get everything I needed this week AND pay for the bike..next week for sure though. :bang:

I haven't done a comp. check yet but it seems oka I would guess.My buddy with one of the 450's has a 95 KX500 and he says it feels a little weak to him compression wise..I dunno...You gotta keep your hands firmly gripped and leaning forward or that bitch is gonna flip your ass off....It's got a Pro-circuit Plat. on it..the old school "factory sound" one.It has been painted black but has the badge from ProCircuit on it with the info stamped.

I wouldn't begin to know how many top-ends have been done to her but I am running 40:1 HP2 mixed w/92oct and it never varied power-wise hot to cold..I wanna rip the carb apart and clean it out good but it runs right to me....kinda don't wanna fudge anything up......It had a clutch issue when I got it and turned out to be the previuos owner put a metal plate first in the basket were the fiber should have been first.....it slipped bad!..I reveresed them and added an additonal metal in the middle of the basket and all is good.Other than that just little things like head bearings loose and brakes feel a touch weak.Could be me though.The front end was dropped a few Mils and of course caused the rear to walk all around.We picked it back up and it was a bit better.I'm sure the suspension could use a refresh.left front fork seal is a touch seepy.

You know when this bike cranks over what it is..people look oddly at you when you get on it.It has a very on/off throttle response.Everybody into bikes should ride one for sure to experience too much power.I could only imagine this thing on street tires.

I would estimate high 90's stock gearing.You could gear this thing to run way past that but you wouldn't get it moving without burning the clutch up...very long first gear.Oddly you gotta gas it to get movin but then it's immediatly time to shift and might as well go to third cause it's needed by the time you let the clutch all the way out...seriously.You could get it in 4th gear pinning the throttle in about 30 feet if you had balls big enough.There was really no time today that I needed to downshift...just roll the grip back and it pulled immediatly.Very odd for a 2-stroke.

It's turning out to be a raunchy play-bike...a tad to much at times to keep tamed but you just can't stop pinning the throttle

Top Bottom