May 23, 2007
Wow, I just took my first ride on my DS80 and all i can say i DONT UNDERESTIMATE A 2 STROKE! 2 Strokes with powerband are awesome and fast. My little brother took the handle bars first.. and put-putted round in 1st gear.. i took over and ventured into 2nd.In my little grassed 100 ft front yard 2nd is all you could get. later we are going to the back yard and we've got permission to ride around in neighbor's yard. this morning when my dad and i were riding it; We got up to 5th breifly before down shifting .

Now i need to know if you should down shift in turns. and when you do down shift do you need to clucth?

My dad told me i could but needed to foot brake too when going into turns, dont rely on the bike to do the work.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You don't downshift to use the engine to slow down as two strokes have very little engine braking. You downshift with the clutch in as you brake so you are in the right gear to effectively accelerate out of the corner.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Once you learn the bike a little more you will find that the front brakes used correctly will set you up better for a turn because your back is going to slide if you use it alone. Get use to using the front brake, it is a vital piece of the puzzle, but do not squeeze it to hard or you will be on the ground in front of the bike :whoa:

May 23, 2007
Chili said:
You don't downshift to use the engine to slow down as two strokes have very little engine braking. You downshift with the clutch in as you brake so you are in the right gear to effectively accelerate out of the corner.

so you say hold in clutch, then downshift NOT using engine braking. then use the brake to slow down. Then when you come out let off the clutch and it'll be in right RPM and gear to take off.. right?

May 23, 2007
just_a_rider said:
Once you learn the bike a little more you will find that the front brakes used correctly will set you up better for a turn because your back is going to slide if you use it alone. Get use to using the front brake, it is a vital piece of the puzzle, but do not squeeze it to hard or you will be on the ground in front of the bike :whoa:

the brakes arent like normal disc brakes. they are the i guess drum brakes. And they need adjusting...badly.. i have just enough front brake to slow me down.. so i dont feel i should get used to them right now because when i adjust them.. and i'm sitting up forward (like my dad told me).. yes.. i'll be on the ground in front of the bike instead of on it.

but i'll try that as soon as i get them adjusted. I hope tomorrow i endure my 1st day of trail riding with a friend who has a KLX 110.

Now.. the 2 of you that are posting to this. Which would win my DS80 2stroke or a CRF 80 4 stroke?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The downshift/clutch/brake will become such a fluid motion that you will actually be doing all three simultaneously when entering a turn. You will also be putting you body in the correct position. Don't worry about that yet though, it will come after you stop concentrating so hard on each individual task.
Nobody can confirm that you will be in the right gear coming out of a corner, they are all different, and the speed at which you are travelling in the corner will also affect the outcome. Experience will eventually tell you what gear to be in and when. If you lug the motor, you are in too high of a gear, and if it is screaming for mercy and runs out of revs too soon, you picked too low of a gear.
DS80 vs CRF80, I would give the edge to the 2-stroke, but a good rider on the CRF can outrun a poor rider on the DS. Have you ever seen the "I Beat Ryno" article? IAs I remember it, a DRZ125 beat an RMZ450.

May 23, 2007
FruDaddy said:
The downshift/clutch/brake will become such a fluid motion that you will actually be doing all three simultaneously when entering a turn. You will also be putting you body in the correct position. Don't worry about that yet though, it will come after you stop concentrating so hard on each individual task.
Nobody can confirm that you will be in the right gear coming out of a corner, they are all different, and the speed at which you are travelling in the corner will also affect the outcome. Experience will eventually tell you what gear to be in and when. If you lug the motor, you are in too high of a gear, and if it is screaming for mercy and runs out of revs too soon, you picked too low of a gear.
DS80 vs CRF80, I would give the edge to the 2-stroke, but a good rider on the CRF can outrun a poor rider on the DS. Have you ever seen the "I Beat Ryno" article? IAs I remember it, a DRZ125 beat an RMZ450.

haha wow.. never seen that article. where is it? on here?

my dad wouldnt let me ride today.. he let my brother ride all day. He says i cant handle it and he can.. Its because he's being a hog and riding it and i havent had but about 10 minute's worth of riding... I rode it today and he got pissed because i didnt turn where i should have because i thought that something was wrong with my brother when i heard a faint noise over the un-baffled 2 stroke engine.

So hopefully i'll ride another 20 mins .. (longer than my brother did when he was "let loose" ) and maybe he'll let me run wide open like my brother did. :bang: :bang: :p :debil:

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
i was your age when i got my ds80. its a 1986. Is yours oil injected as well?

Those things were built like tanks and just keep going. ive got mine dissassembled cuz i need new brakes, chain, and sprockets to put on and i dont have the time right now.

when i was your age my brother had a ttr125 and with the small 80, i beat him in races. The DS is a great trail bike, its nice and light but powerful. dont underestimate its power budd.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You are young, so please understand my lack of sympathy, I am currently dealing with the attitudes of my own children. I don't know why your father would allow your brother to ride more that you, but I expect that he has a good reason, perhaps, he feels that your brother is more responsible. Hopefully he know you better than I do, if not, then you should open up and let him be a part of your life. Enjoy about the time that you do get to ride, and don't whine when you can't.

Do a search for the article, it was titled "I beat Ryno". I think it was in Racer X. I know that there was a lot of talk about it when it first came out.

Forgive any typos, I am not at full capacity.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Your woundering about which bike will beat the other, don't worrie about that now, you need to learn and you do have a lot to learn alot before trying something foolish that will get you hurt. A good simple layout of a figure 8 patern in the grass will help you get a feel for the the works of the bike in all areas except jumping. Cornering wins races.

May 23, 2007
i've been riding a D track sorta in my yard.. up a 2ft hump.. down a 2 foot hump turn.. straight.. through a wet section,straight round a tree.. back to the hump

Top Bottom