first ride since july 13

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
today, i took my first ride on a motorcycle since july 13, when i broke my leg. i sold my mx bike so i had to get out my vintage dual purpose bike. i couldn't kick start it because i am still wearing my ortho boot (good thing the front brake works). i had to roll it down the driveway and bump start it. it took two tries. i rode it around the neighborhood for about ten minutes. it felt soooo good. the guys at work think i'm crazy. i think they are boring. damn, i like riding motorcycles! :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I thought you would finally cave and ride the scoot. Should have gotten Kendall to start it for you.

B

biglou

I bet Jay's still faster than I am on his vintage scoot with Kendall pushing him around the neighborhood! :o

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Way to go! Obvoiusly, be safe, careful, and take care of that leg. Your too close now! I can't wait, and all my friends think I am crazy as well.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
:thumb:

All my friends call me crazy as well, but I just reply; "Riding is my idea of sainity." :) :aj:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
All right, Jay!!! Woo Hoo!!!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
Jay, I trust this D-P bike WAS a Honda, right?

oops, it's a yamaha. :scream:

i am presently honda-free. currently, i have two yamahas, two suzukis, and one ktm. we're picking up a kx 80 saturday. all are the kids' bikes except my old d-p bike. the kids just didn't inherit the good taste that i have. my next new one will be a honda, of course.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i told you that ride would feel like a million bucks. hang in there you are getting closer to the top of the hill. get your health back and moto your brains out.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
:thumb: Try not to fall going up the stairs.

You're back in the saddle a lot quicker than I thought you would be. What does your doc say about your riding?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Just keep at it. You'll be all the way back and going strong before you know it.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser

You're back in the saddle a lot quicker than I thought you would be. What does your doc say about your riding?

actually, i'm not really back in the saddle. i'm still wearing my ortho boot. i just rode around on the street, no dirt. i'm allowed to gradually start putting weight on my leg without the boot now. the bone is healing, the wound is not. i have to go have some kind of skin graft dec. 9 and i'll be spending three more days in the hospital, 4-6 weeks following that before normal functions (if it works).

my current ortho doc is the only one i've ever had that hasn't lectured me. ;)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
if that's your right leg, or if you don't like kicking, you may want to stick with another Cr250. Last sunday I strained some muscles in my leg by trying to help a guy start an almost new Honda 450. I know many of them start fine, but the two strokes ALWAYS seem to start easily, no "special procedure" required...

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
I dunno how you injured guys do it. 4 months is a long time not to ride when you want to. Weve got the winter to deal with, but on an ocational warm day (45) we still get in a quick ride.
Jay, are you going to wait till your 100 percent before you go shopping for a new toy?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by WaltCMoto
Jay, are you going to wait till your 100 percent before you go shopping for a new toy?

yes. i won't really be shopping though. i already know where and how much, i just have to decide whether two-stroke or four.

i rode my d-p bike again today. :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
2 wheels, a engine, and red. :(

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
whatever you do, DON'T read the magazine tests. Just finished reading one yesterday, I can honestly say I was much dumber than before I read it. Won't go into details, maybe later in the flame forum. Of course, i'd just be beating a horse that has already been, well, beat a lot.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i usually read them but i don't go by what they say. two of my best bikes, mxa hated. the ones i've had that they liked, i didn't particularly care for.

i like top-end motors, the magazines always hate them.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by mx547
i am still wearing my ortho boot (good thing the front brake works). i had to roll it down the driveway and bump start it. it took two tries.
Dude, that is exactly what I would have done. We think alike. That is a sign you definately have the fever!

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
Great to hear your progressing. Does Doc know about this little ride? It's good to hear he doesn't lecture you, a friend of mine was telling me he went to the doctor hurt and they were all nice and gentle until he told them how he got hurt...........no more nice and gentle!

You going to buy your new scoot from Honda of Tulsa? If you don't mind me asking.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by 99CR125OK
You going to buy your new scoot from Honda of Tulsa?

yeah, my only other consideration was a yz250. after hearing about all the crank failures, i'm no longer interested. i loathe mechanical problems.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Jay,
Glad to see you are back on a bike. A DP bike beats no bike at all!

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Yea, what everybody else said, good to hear that you riding...

Now, if you buy two new CR's at the same time will H.O.T. cut a better deal? ..hint, hint...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…