First Things To Do To A Used Bike When U get It?

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
OK I think this might be a good topic if i get the right responses :)

Im not a mechanic im just mechanically inclined, so naturally I want to do most of the day to day work on my 97 rm125.

I purchased the bike and it is heavily modified. It came from a guy who purchased it from his cousin whom is a pro racer. It has a variety of different after market parts. The engine and suspension/brakes and so on...

My main question is being that the previous owner was good on upkeep and being that I am taking on someone else's beast what would you recommend I do first? Fluids, etc..

Right now the bike runs great, sounds great and appears to have no immediate issues, however I would like to be proactive...

Shoot me off some ideas.

Thanks ALOT in advance

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
the VERY first thing to do is buy the manual if u dont have one. after that go through and do the routine maintenance that is in the manual. check almost everything. this will not only help you keep the bike up and running but get you familiarized with your bike.

after that start tuning it to your style. adjust the suspension and forks. if you dont know how to do that do a search and you will find it. adjust the levers.

when its set up how you like it just get yourself in a habit of doing the maintenance like lubin the chain, checking the fluids, all of that routine stuff.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
First thing, reserve a large pile of cash. You will probably need it.

Then start going thru everything. If it moves, it's probably worn. Check & measure, and replace what's out of spec or worn out.

Just because one of the previous owners was a "pro racer" does not mean that the bike is in perfect condition. You'll have to break out the wrenches and check it for yourself.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Ride it for 1/2 hour, and then disassemble it down to the frame (removing swingarm, and removing fluid from forks). Clean everything. Items that appear to be worn get replaced. Everything that moves gets grease. Everything that isn't quite right gets righted.

Reassemble. Enjoy.

goblue12n0

Sep 11, 2007
IndyYZ85 perhaps provided the best advice regarding a large pile of cash. As a warning, I purchased a 2002 CR250R in the summer of 2005. I'm a 30+ plus rider that hits the tracks with the kids during open practice. Therefore, I do not push the bike beyond its limit. As of yesterday I have over $6k in the bike. I really ejnoy riding the 2 cycle and plan to keep it considering the investment. However, in hind sight I should have purchased a new 4 stroke in the summer of 2005 instead.

To answer your question I would purchase a new air filter and make very sure that it is properly cleaned after every ride. Drain the coolant and replace with factory fluids. Change the oil in the lower end now and after every other ride. Check the coolant and the oil in the lower end frequently until you become comfortable with the bike. Check the brake fluid and the brake pads. Repair / replace them if necessary. Use your manual to guide suspension adjustments. Mix the fuel 32:1 unless otherwise guided in the manual. Replace the plug and buy several spares. One third of the extra plugs will be for you and others will be for those at the track who foul and did not plan ahead. Check the air in the tires, they should have 12 psi or more. Anything less then 12 psi and you will risk pincning the tube. Make sure the spokes are tight. Insure that the chain has the proper sag. Clean the chain and apply chain lube. Make sure the bike is not leaking fluids. Also, when you change the oil in the lower end, make sure you do not have an air bubble. This can be prevented by measuring the fluid in connection with the mannual.

If you have the time and patience, then tear it down to the frame as previously recomended. Otherwise ride it, do not skip recommended maintenance and repair / adjust as necessary.

Top Bottom