bocephous

Mar 15, 2005
I decided to suck it up today and attempt to grease the swingarm and suspension linkage bearings on my '05 KX250 today. I had never done this before and was a little apprehensive and intimidated that I'd mess up. So, I started loosening the linkage and worked my way to the swingarm. I pulled the sleeves out that were covering the needle bearings and cleaned the areas up before applying grease to the bearings. After that I disconnected the top of the shock and did the same to the bearings in that area. After that I put everything back together and torqued all the nuts and bolts to factory specs. I feel quite a sense of accomplishment and am hoping that I did everything correctly. I wouldn't mind some feedback from some experienced wrenches here telling me if I missed anything or could have done anything else. Thanks for reading and hopefully the feedback.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A good job always brings about a good feeling.
If you don't have anything left over, you are probably alright! :)

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Hey,
I did the exact same thing today to my 94' RM after riding with a squeaky back end for a cuple weeks. My bikes blown up and I figured sense it was apart I might as well tackle the linkage. Tomrrow Im gonna grease and tourqe it up. One question tho, where the suspension rod meets the linkage part thats by the engine (sorry I dont know the names, I dont have the manual with me), well anyway the bolt wont come out what ever I do, and I wonder if thats the part that is sqeeking and if I dont grease it this will be all a waste. So how do you think I could get it out?
Sorry for the hijack.
Thanks.
Pic of the parts-click

bocephous

Mar 15, 2005
Well, I ran into the same type of problem today. The people at dealerships, or whoever put bikes together, do not own torque wrenches in my opinion. So, in order to break nuts loose (I don't own an impact wrench), I slip a pipe over the end of the wrench or ratchet. You just have to be careful and use your free hand to keep the socket or wrench perfectly centered. Hope this helps.

After looking at the pic I believe it will be easier to take that bolt out if the swingarm is attached.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
soak with penetrating oil first so you can try not to snap the bolt

Top Bottom