May 5, 2007
My bike throws spooge all over the engine and swingarm,it looks horrible,so i figured it was time for a topend so i repacked the silencer and put in new piston and rings.And it didnt fix the problem.It stills spooges everywhere,especially when you run it hard,so I figure its time to rejet it.And i know its trial and error but any suggestions would help alot cause ive never done this.
My stock settings are:
Air screw-2.0 turns out
Slow jet(I guess thats the pilot jet)-#50
Jet needleF1240g 24naaj
needle clip position-3rd groove from the top
Main jet-#125
Float level-0.75

I thing my problem is my main jet cause it does it worst when you run it hard.It never fouls plugs but im running a Br8es instead of the recommended Br10eg.

My manual suggest for my altitude and Temperature(2500-4999 and 59-80 degrees farenheit)
\
Air scrw-2 turns out
slow jet-48
Needle clip position-2nd from top
Main jet-122

Also it says a rich condition can be caused by an air leak,My bike occasionally backfires when trying to start it.
But do you think the rcommendations sound about right or should i just go down until i get it right?
It also says honda jets do not co-respond with other manufaturers jets.
Its a 2002 cr 80 Bone stock exept weisco piston.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Does the exhaust smell fragrant or foul? Can you rule out mechanical issues? Leak down test? What was your new piston to cylinder clearance? That es plug is not intended for a high rpm bike,at least a BR8EG,when you get it running properly, an 8 is pretty hot. You need to read your plug properly. http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=92818

May 5, 2007
I think is ok to rule out most mechanical isssues.But I dont know how to do a leak down test.I didnt have a macro meter,but the bikes never been bored and somhow had the crosshatch.It has more compression from feel and runs cosiderably better.But i dont have a micro meter or a tool to get measurements like that.I guess that makes it kinda hard to determine my problem.But im gonna by the recommended plug and go from there.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
In the future get a set of feeler gauges,they are cheap. Learn how to measure with them. Measure the clearance between your piston skirt,ring gap and bridge gap. Not your current issue now though. Is your timing correctly adjusted? Did you read the post on reading your plug?

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
derek the 2 stroke said:
My bike throws spooge all over the engine and swingarm,it looks horrible,...

Also it says a rich condition can be caused by an air leak,My bike occasionally backfires when trying to start it.
But do you think the rcommendations sound about right or should i just go down until i get it right?
It also says honda jets do not co-respond with other manufaturers jets.
Its a 2002 cr 80 Bone stock exept weisco piston.

Usually, a lean condition exsists with an air leak.

An exhaust backfire can be several things. The first I would look for would be leaky exhaust joints.

The jetting specs sound pretty much in the ball park.

Oh...and if it's spooging, change the packing in the silencer again. It's probably saturated.

Rotor

May 5, 2007
Ill get a feeler gauge as soon as I get some money.And i know I should have a service manual but can you tell me how to check my timing?Im not really too knowlagable about the elecrical systems on my bike.And i figure this is somthin that varies from bike to bike.

I have two plugs from the bike,both have not been used in at least a week.But the most recent is dark but not wet.Pretty black the electrode(I think thats the thing in between he threads)is dark.The tip is darker.The older one is a little lighter of a black and the electrode isa very light brown almost white.Im not sure how many hours each plug has on it but i know its at least 10 each.So im pretty sure its runnin rich.I think the previous owner may have ran a hotter plug because it was fouling the br10egs.It puzzles me because the bike runs great.But what puzzles me more is that there was no mess of oil in the cylinder.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Hey I am in the same boat as you on my CR250r. It leaks oil out the back on the swing arm. Also it leaks on the header down the crank case. As of now its in the shop getting that and a few other things fixed on it. My first guess was jetting but I will see what the problem is when i get it back and let you know.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Derek,if you read the posts in the technical forum then you will be able to look at your plug and know what is going on with it. Or post some really good pics. Do a search on leak down set ups. I am fairly confident that an accurate rig could be set up for under 30 bucks. You could ask if someone by you has one,with knowledge, or see what a shop would charge.

May 5, 2007
Im sorry I had my altitude way off Its more like 1500 feet.Or at least thats what a site says.Does anyone have a reliable source for finding my altitude?Ill get leakdown test equipment as soon as i get some cash.And I couldnt get a good picture of the plugs with my friends camera.
My mauals suggested settings for that 1500 feet are,

air screw:2 1/4 turns
Slow jet #50
needle clip position:3rd
Main jet:#122

Im sorry giving the wrong info,but i dont have a very reliable source for my altitude. And I live in a mountainus area so it makes it even harder to guess how many feet i go up the mountain to ride.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
GPS, google earth maps, encyclopedia, lots of places to get fairly accurate elevations. Type in your hometown and see! Jetting correction tables can be found on the internet also, around 3000 feet it gets reduced,leaner by 5 percent on the main. The tables in the manual are easier to go by.

Top Bottom