imprezagm4

Mar 12, 2007
1) 5'9" 155lbs
2) Never ridden before, so I expect not very aggressive.
3) I plan on trail/desert riding.
4) No experience
5) Will never race
6) I could probably do some work on the bike.
7) No preference
8) Local dealers carry: Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki
9) NEW: Less than 4k USED: Less than $3500
10) Like in Central Oregon
11) I'm 20 years old, all my friends ride... looks to be good fun. I'd prefer to buy new so that I can finance, I'd like to build some credit. I refuse to buy a new honda... their financing is highway robbery. I was looking at the crf230 (until i looked at the financing) and then the yamaha ttr230... Anything more is going to be too expensive, I don't need a ton of bike, just something that fits me and can have even a chance of keeping up :nener: I haven't a clue what sort of power I need, I just want a good trail bike I can grow with (read: not a kiddy bike :) ) And I'm not completely against a used bike, it'd just be nice to start establishing credit.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Your best bet for establishing credit is to get a credit card or two. Use the cards, but pay the balance off each month so that you don't pay finance charges.

I doubt that the loan you could get on a dirt bike without prior credit would have a very attractive interest rate. Often these types of loans will come with pre-payment penalties or a loan structured so that you pay most of the interest in the beginning and don't start paying down the principal until quite a ways into the loan. This could end up being VERY expensive for you, especially if you decide to sell the bike before the loan has been paid off.

For example, you could finance $4000 for four years with a 10% interest rate, making payments of $101.45. Over the life of the loan you would pay $101.45/month x 48 months = $4869.90, which means that you will have paid $869.60 if you keep the loan the entire term. If you received a loan that was based on the "rule of 78" (rather common) and you decided that you wanted to sell the bike after only one year, you would discover that after making 12 paymens for a total of $1217.4 you would still owe 3159.73. Note that the situation only gets worse if the interest rates are higher.

You would be a lot better off to buy a used bike that you could pay cash for instead of financing a bike. If you can't afford to pay cash, then you probably can't afford dirt bike riding. Keep in mind that the bike is the cheap part. To go along with the bike you will need:

Helmet: $140 to $300
Boots: $120
gloves, goggles: $50
chest protector: $50

Gas can: $40
Tie downs: $20

Do you have a truck or trailer to haul the bike around? You can pick up a used trailer for a few hundred $$, or you might need a $100 ramp to get the bike into your truck.

Do you have a set of tools, metric wrenches and sockets?
I don't recommend cheap tools, and a reasonable set can cost several hundred $$

I might normally recommend a two stroke "off road" bike (Such as the TTR-230 you mentioned) in your situation instead of the MX style bike (YZ-anything...). The TT series woudl be a lot cheaper, which would allow you to get into the sport with a newer, more reliable bike. What concerns me is the statement that all your friends ride. If you are goint to be trying to keep up with them, and they have MX bikes, then riding a non MX bike could get you into trouble.

The concern that I have is that the off road bike wouldn't have the suspension to match your friends. If you try to follow them over the same terrain at anywhere near the same speed then you better have a suitable suspension. Power will get you into trouble, but a good suspension can help you ride through it.

I would recommend matching what your friends have, if you can afford it. If you can't afford that right now, then I would recommend starting with something like the TTr-230 that you mentioned. Being a cheaper model of bike you would be able to buy one that wasn't quite as old and therefore in better shape. Use it for a year or two and then you should be able to sell it with little lost value and buy the bike you really want.

Rod

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Very sound advice from "rmc_olderthandirt".

My only question is, have you ridden before? If you have no experience what so ever, the TTR, DRZ, XR/CRF, KLX are the way to go. Good trail bikes that are beginer friendly with easy maintenence. Keep the gas tank filled, air filter clean and the occational oil change it they will last forever.

Their are a few options between trail bikes and full blown MX bike. The CFR250X and WR250.

Let us know what bikes your friends ridae and what type of riding they do. Will you be on your own concerning maintenence and learning how to ride, or are your buddies willing to teach you.

To be honest, I would suggest buying a used older bike to get your feet wet. Once you learn and become competent, you can move to a more "specific use" bike. On that note, an XR200 would be perfect for you.

Good luck, Steve.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Don't overlook a good used newer KDX (200 or 220). Great bike for a beginner w/ potential for more as you get better.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
imprezagm4 said:
would a used (say, a 2001) yz125 be a good bike? as i understand it, a 2 stroke 125 will move pretty darn good.
Can you drive a stick shift? If so you can teach yourself to ride this bike in one or two evenings. Esspecially if you have friends that ride. You can get one used for around 2200. You could go a little older and get one for cheaper. Just be cautious when you buy anything used cause believe it or not there are people out there that only want your money.

imprezagm4

Mar 12, 2007
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I drive manual, so I know the concept well. It's just changing it from my legs to my hands. I figured it would be more difficult to learn, but the comments are encouraging.

Due to the comments here, I'm now looking at used bikes. Locally for sale there is a 99 yz125, and 96 xr200. The yz is 1400, and the xr200 is 1700. You were correct in saying an older bike is a better choice... now instead of paying for the bike every month, I could pay for gas/gear.

Again, thanks for the advice. If I go an check either of them out, I will bring a knowledgable buddy along.

Top Bottom