Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I rode my first Trials this last weekend. I twas put on by the Columbia Observed Trials Assoc (COTA) and was held in Dallesport, WA.

Here's my report.

I arrived around 8:30 am. First ride was to be out at 9:30, so this gave me plenty of time to suit up, register etc. Maybe even ask a few questions.

The guy at registration was nice and gave me a quick rundown of how the day would go. "Ride to a section, walk it, ride it, got the next section and repeat. Do that four times and you're done. Oh yeah, don't put your feet down."

Tells me I can ride around and practive, but I can't pre-ride any sections. This worries my a bit since I don't yet know how to identify a section, but I see somce other guys riding around in an open area, and I figure it's save over there.

So I get close, but not too close as I'm pretty nervous still and sort of want to be left alone to get confortable with my bike. This is the first time I've ridden it outsied the level ground of my backyard. I try a few wheelies, some balancing, and a few slow, tight turns. Nothing too tricky.

Next thing I know the president of the club finds me and welcomes me (these trials guys are so nice). Gives me the lowdown on the flags, markers, and ribbons. Tells me when and where the riders meeting is and compliments my bike.

I ride around some more until I see everyone heading towards the riders meeting.

Pretty basic stuff there. Same thing I just heard, but good to hear it again.

I then follow the heard to the first section.

I'm sitting there next to a 10 year old kid (I know because I asked him). I tell him it's my first time. He gives me all sorts of advice and offers to walk the section with me. I take him up on it and he offers more advice as we take the walk. "Watch out for that rock... I thikn I'll just go over this one -- easier then trying to make the turn...etc.." Nice kid.

I watch him ride the section and then go next. I clean my first section! Feeling good about now.

I show up at the next section. 10 year old comes up (he's done here) and tells me to watch for a slippery rock at the top turn. I walk the section and see the rock. I ride the section and hit the rock with my back tire. Right foot dabs. I pick it up to quick and then dab both feet. Now I slow down, get my balance and finish the rest of the section. 3 points. But I still feel OK. I didn't expect to clean everything!

I get through the rest of the sections in the first loop without getting any more points.

The second loop I clean the 2nd section, so at this point, I've cleaned every section at least once and take 4 points during the rest of the loop. 3 of them at once at a point where I almost went out of bounds. Still, I think I'm doing pretty good.

I clean everything for the rest of the day and feel just great.

I catch up with the 10 yr old at the registration desk and he asks how I did. I tell him and he says I did pretty good for a first timer. He invites me to go riding with him.

I take him up on the offer and have one of the funnest times I've had riding. At one point, he gives my a serious look and says "If anything is too hard, for you, just say so." Fortunately, I'm able to keep up (not bad for a 38 year old). At some point, I try to climb a pretty good size rock. I do a wheelie and hit the rock near the top. I recall something about double-blip and give it some gas. Rear tire has an amazing amount of traction and I shoot up the rock. Unfortunately, I'm not quite prepared for the speed at which this occurred and sort of fall off the back of the bike and break my rear fender as the bike continue to crash with out me. Oh well, I guesss it's really mine now.

It was one of the best days I've had ridding. Everyone was way cool and helpful, and I came in 4 out of 7 in my class with 7 points. 1st & 2nd had one point (how do they break the tie?). 3rd had 2 or 3, 5 through 7 had 13+, so I think I did OK.

Oh yeah, the 10 year old took 1st!

Thanks to COTA for a great event. I'll be back.

mcp

MOTOMILT

Dec 31, 2001
Congrats

Glad you had a good time.

Sounds like you may be hooked. The ppl make trials a
great sport. Help your fellow riders do the best they can.
( no matter what age or class)

The more ppl you meet the more fun to be had. It's great to have ppl's names on the plates to be able to call ppl by there first names and get to know them. To go to a event and know just about everybody is a good feeling..

Now you need to hook up with fellow riders in your area for fun practice.( ride,BS,ride,BS) Sounds like your after trials playing was Fun and a Challenge.

You might find that you don't even want to ride your bike with a seat anymore. I did.

Milt

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I did decide that if I could only have one bike, it wouldn't have a seat!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I am soooo wanting another trials bike.

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
Magellan said:
1st & 2nd had one point (how do they break the tie?).

When there is a tie, they count the number of cleans that each person has. The most cleans would then be first place. However, if the number of cleans is the same, then they count the number of single dabs. Again, the fewest dabs would then be first place. If needed, it can continue down to the next level (2 dabs, 3 dabs, etc.). I have yet to see a total duplicate ride between 2 riders. If it happens, then let them slug it out. :yikes:

Glad to hear that you have a great time!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Well done Magellan!! It's a pretty cool sensation when you get a clean isn't it ;)

Welcome to the obsession :cool:

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
JTT said:
Well done Magellan!! It's a pretty cool sensation when you get a clean isn't it ;)
Very :laugh:

Top Bottom