RodA

Apr 29, 2004
2001 YZ125

The motor seized, after opening the case I found the bearing on the main axle behind the clutch basket had come apart. It appears I should replace the main & drive axles, all bearings on the tranny, the clutch basket & clutch cover at a minimum. Add a piston, ring, & bearing while I have it open and the cost appears to be about $800 for just the above parts.

I only paid $1,800 for the bike a couple years ago so I'm debating the value of making the repair vs. just replacing the bike. This is the first time I've opened a motor so I'm enjoying the challenge and I'm not counting my time against the decision.

For those that have been down this road... what advice can you give on my options.
Buy the parts & attempt to rebuild.
Part out the bike and buy another.
Buy a used or already rebuilt motor (no idea on where or $$).

Other background... I'm middle aged, don't race, only trail ride about 3 or 4 weekends per year. Would probably buy a WR250F or similar. Have ridden like this for 20 years. Could be easily talked into a hare scramble in the beginner class.

Thanks

kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
if you can fix yourself the only way to get your money back out of it is to fix it isnt bad if you kno what your doing but i would fix it and ride it like i stole it and most used bikes are abused and you have no idea the background of them if you fix yours you have a brand new motor that will last my opinion

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Fixing bikes is all part of it. You can fix the one you have or you can fix somebody elses problems or you can buy nw and fix it down the road. If you feel you can fix it I'd do it, if not well parting something out might bring more coin but also brings a lot more grief in dealing with tons of other people that may or may not show, have money, etc...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
As to what is 'best' you do need to factor in things like how much you like the bike, your mechanical skills and how much you enjoy working on bikes.

From a financial perspective, look at it his way:

Non working 2001 two stroke 125: Worth maybe $300, not easy to sell

Parted out 2001 two stroke 125: Maybe you'll get $600, if you spend lots of time on ebay, craig's list and arguing with a 15 year old about whether your rear brake disc is worth $20 or $10. Stuff like forks and the pipe are marketable, but a pain to pack and ship.

Fixed Up 2001 two stroke 125: Maybe it's worth $1300 running, but you will have to spend the $800 in parts, buy a shop manual, fix it yourself, etc... But at least you can do the work on your own time.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
dirt bike dave said:
As to what is 'best' you do need to factor in things like how much you like the bike, your mechanical skills and how much you enjoy working on bikes.

From a financial perspective, look at it his way:

Non working 2001 two stroke 125: Worth maybe $300, not easy to sell

Parted out 2001 two stroke 125: Maybe you'll get $600, if you spend lots of time on ebay, craig's list and arguing with a 15 year old about whether your rear brake disc is worth $20 or $10. Stuff like forks and the pipe are marketable, but a pain to pack and ship.

Fixed Up 2001 two stroke 125: Maybe it's worth $1300 running, but you will have to spend the $800 in parts, buy a shop manual, fix it yourself, etc... But at least you can do the work on your own time.

Confidence in knowing you have a solid motor that won't leave you pushing up a muddy hillclimb.........priceless....... ;)

For me it would depend on the condition of the rest of the bike. If it's all tight and the suspension is freshly serviced with good tires, brakes, clutch and whatnot I'd probly fix it. If it needs much more than the engine fixed it's probably best to try and part it out. Get the forks, frame, swingarm, shock, ignition parts, rims, basically anything expensive, clean them up and try to sell them. You should be able to get at least four or five hundred bucks out of that stuff.

Top Bottom