gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
My M-4 boots are just not good enough.I am fixing to buy some white tech-8's.I have the money and are wanting to buy them so bad.Do any of yall think I shouldn't and if you own a pair of them do they run big or small?I wear a size 12 shoe but my M-4's are 11's and fit me good.Thanks

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I wear a size 11 and my T8's are right on the money size wise. I thought they were the best boots on the market... but after testing the Sidi's I think they are 2nd best.

T8 Protection is as good as it gets!
Very comfortable once broken in
Durable as an XR

But they are THICK in the ankles. Odd feeling at first. Made me feel like they were pushing my feet off the pegs, but I got use to them.

Great boot if T8's are the way you decide to go.... For me I choose the Sidi FlexForce SRS. You can read the reviews here

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Just tried 'em on . . .

and while I wear a 6 in most other boots, I had to go with a 7 in the T8s! Must be that bootie or something. I've narrowed my choices down to either the T8 or the AXO RC-5. I can get a good price on the AXOs. The Alpinstars seem to be an industry standard. And last I checked, Sidi doesn't make my size (40 was the smallest I saw they had--which is what, an 8?)

EZ

Jul 18, 2001
I did try on a pair a couple of weeks ago and the size was dead on the same as my street shoes.To me also,they felt extra wide,one reason I didn't buy em.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I wear size 7 1/2 in guys shoes, and I tried 7's in t8's but they were way to small and cramped my feet, so I got size 8's and they are perfect!

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I wear a size 12 in a workboot and my size 12 T8's fit pretty good. The only problem I've had with them is I can't feel when I'm touching the brake.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
Got my mom convinced now.My dad said I would have to go up to the Sherman Powersports or Central Yamaha to try some on to make sure I get the right size and they don't hurt in any certain place.Then I can order them.;)

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
In my opinion and personal experience, the Tech 8s are overated. The booties get hard and brittle, which makes putting on the boots a chore. There is no steel shank that runs inside the sole for protection. A friend of mine busted his foot wide open when he hit a stump.

My boot of choice-if it matters-would be the SIDI Flex Force.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
O man now I dunno what to get after hearing all the praise about the SIDI Flex Force.:think I think I will give it some time and hopefully get to try on both boots.;)

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Luv my Tech-8's!

I bought the same size as my shoes.
They feel like luxury slippers. I sometimes wear them for an hour after the ride, during clean-up and maintenance, because they're just so comfortable.

It is difficult to "feel" the brake and shift pedals at first, but I adapted to that pretty quick.

I feel really protected in them.

Ive never tried the Sidi's, but I'd like to! If I ever wear out my T-8's I'll try a pair.;)

woody51

Apr 2, 2001
I wear shoes that are 11 ½ and I have a pair of size 12 tech 8’s. I really like them they are very nice boots and I don’t have to worry about hurting my feet.

Idid have to move my shifter up one notch since they are a little taller in the toe area.

I bet if you looked around you could find a good used pair for around $200, which makes them a helluva deal. I got mine for $220 and I think the guy only wore them a handful of times. Definitely worth the money.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
There must be a reason so many pros wear them.

Bought a pair 3 months ago, normally wear an 10 but went with an 11 an it fits great.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by LocoCD
There must be a reason so many pros wear them.
Yup... sponsorship $$$ and they are a great boot with superior protection.

I was fortunate to test the Sidi's and now my T8's are collecting dust. My suggestion is you use the average opinion of the people to get a good feel for which boots are well made, offer good protection and fit well. Everybody likes someting different. Pick what is best for you. Try on the different boots before making a decision.

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I know at the local level it seems that most all of the amature and pros who dont get free boots wear T8's.

I just ordered a pair from Rocky Mt for $289 with free shipping. I allready tried them on in a local shop. I had Gearne RX pro and Fox Alta and am looking forward to the T8's. It seemed that I needed about 1/2 size bigger than my street shoes, (which fell on a full size) lucky for me.

Sigster

Jun 16, 2000
The Tech 8's are over rated as GasGasman said. The only reason alot of pro's wear them is the fact that Astar pays them to. Don't you think Fox wants Carmichael to wear their boots? Astar pays him more to wear theirs. I thought they had to be the best boot on the market with all these pros wearing them. Well I was wrong. My Tech 8's are now my backup, mud, slop and crappy conditions boot. My Sidi Force Flex's are the ones I wear regularly now that I have seen the light.

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
At the local level no one is getting payed to wear anything. At best these guys get stuff at cost, normally anything a bike shop carrys including the bike. At the national level I do believe it is dictated by money, at least for the top 20 in each class.

I have never put on a pair of Sidi boots, they are hard to find. I dought I will be disapointed with my choice however.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by reynome
At the local level no one is getting payed to wear anything. At best these guys get stuff at cost, normally anything a bike shop carrys including the bike. At the national level I do believe it is dictated by money, at least for the top 20 in each class.
You are correct they are the most worn boot in the industry at the local level.

Why?
Because people believe they are the best.

Why do people think that?
Because as LocoCD said "There must be a reason so many pros wear them."

Are they thhe best?
I think they are as good protection wise as any boot on the market.

The only boot I have worn that compares to its protection is the Sidi and it is so much more comfortable, slimmer and with better motion qualities

T8's drawback for me is the bulkiness and restrictive motion, but if Sidi ever quits making boots I will be back on the T8 bandwagon

Note:
My comments about the Sidi's are based on the FlexForce SRS. I have no experience with the standard sole but Okie does. You can read his review on them in the tested section.

klx352

Aug 12, 2000
The best part about T8s is when your bike brakes down. you can slip out
the little booty and walk home in them(been there)
The new buckels i dont like
The new soles last 10-1 over my old ones
Feet slip in&out with ease
Thay do fit a bit tight on the sides

tay

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
Right now its down to Alps and Sidi's.I know I can try on the Alps either at Plano Honda or Central Yamaha in Plano or at Sherman Powersports.Im not sure where I can try on the Sidi's.I am trying to remember if Central carrys Sidi boots.I think I saw them last time I was there, but I have slept since then.:think Do yall know of any places near or around plano,mckinney I could try on these boots?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by gibbs_6
Do yall know of any places near or around plano,mckinney I could try on these boots?
I will bring mine to work one day this week if you want to try them on if CY or PH does not carry them. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere in Plano area on my lunch break. Hell I'll bring my T8's too... try them on back to back. Lemme know.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
Thats nice of THUMP, and I'd take him up on it. Try on both pairs and compare comfort and price. I have a pair of 1 year old Tech 8's, and I agree with CC Rider, and Woody51. They are EXTREMELY comfortable, yet they do take some getting used to. It is a thick boot because of all the padding and protection, and you will have to raise your shift lever one notch. I have NOT experienced any splitting, cracking, unraveling, chunking, rust, broken buckles, or anything ! I'm not saying another boot isn't better, I'm just speaking from my experience. Before the Tech 8's, after every ride I left alot of my skin and some flesh in the other boots, and I still have the scars to prove it. Since the Tech 8's, my feet, ankles, and shins have been left in perfect condition after every ride for a year, and that says alot to me. It tells me that I made the right decision. Mine have held up very well, and I ride hard on the track and in the woods, so they have been put to the test. When it comes time to buy a new pair of boots, the Tech 8's will be rated very high on my list. I recommend contacting MX South, because it has been my experience that they will match/beat anyones price providing the item was in stock; boots included, and they have a liberal return policy as well.
Good Luck.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
Thanks Thump.I'll check out the dealer first then trouble you if they don't have what I need to look at.Thanks again.:)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I think boots are like helmets- just as there are different shaped heads, there are different shaped feet. You need to find the boot that offers the best protection and comfort. Try them both on.
I bought the tech 8s' (which I've had for 3 yrs.) because they were the only boots I tried on (out of about 10 different boots) that actually supported my bad ankle enough to take the pain out of it when they were on. It was like wearing an ankle brace. They are a bit bulky, but make up for the bulk in comfort and the confidence you'll gain knowing you're well protected.
But again, you need to find out what's gonna work for you. It's a big purchase, so don't be afraid to compare.

Top Bottom