SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I would like to get a cruiser to pull a trailer.
2-4 bikes, guys and gear.
Under 10k.
Any edification is appreciated.
Not into image, just a reliability thang.
Started researching on the net and realized I needed the reality of my DRN bro's.
Any real advice would be most appreciated.
Bill

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Toyota Landcruiser.
4wd
strait 6
Wagon Style 4door.
People tend to be tlc "nuts".
Thought I might find a source of information here.
Inspiration too...
Gas Gas man ought to know what everything is, driving an esoteric bike and all...
Yur spose to be a freak into minuteae?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
SFO,
Try off-road.com - I think they have a TLC page. Not sure when the 2F straight six got fuel injection but in the later years it was pretty well strangled with smog equipment. I don't know too much about them but they're pretty much bullet proof with the stock engine in place - axles comparable to Dana 60s except for the birfield joints on the front axles.
I saw a early/mid '80s 60 (I think) for sale on Hwy 12 north of Sonoma a couple of weeks back - looked like it was in pretty good shape. I could swing over there this weekend and see if it's still there - let me know.

I'm partial to CJ's but I'd love to have an FJ-45:)

Brian

Last edited:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
SFO, my buddy had a late model Landcruiser that he got to tow his 24' boat. He was very disappointed in the power and gearing. I drove it and it was gutless with very tall gearing while highway driving. Very nice wagon inside but I'd want to drive it while towing a load before I would think about buying one.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Thanks for the data, NVR FINISH.
I was at offroad.com and saw the page, again I thought I'd rather hear it from a drn guy than a Rick Sieman guy.
If it is not out of your way, I would appreciate checking it out.
I've seen some diesel models too, that were canadian and people brought in to the US.
Is it a problem to bring diesels into CA?
The prices look right on these things, if you buy a less desireable model.
2-5 k , which leaves more room for $$$ and my bikes...

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I 'll see if it's there this weekend - I'll take my digital camera. I think Kiwi is right - you'll definately want to drive one with a load behind it before purchasing.

Brian

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I could also get one pre smog and do the vortec conversion.
I used to pull a 22 ft boston wailer behind a toyota 22r motored pick up.
Just grab 3rd for the hills!
I heard that the weak motored models are cheaper?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I'm not sure there is a 'weak' motored version as opposed the change to fuel injection made a huge improvement.

Vortec conversion? I thought you were trying to stay cheap.....

Brian

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Start cheap and then when the bug to drag the thang into the machine shop to fit a new powerplant...
I just have a problem making payments/insurance on the neon. It can't haul bikes...
On the Offroad.com page they said the 60's and the newer ones got weaker as the years rolled on.
I would like to score one resonable and then come what may.
I like the quirky look of the 55"s though and they are old enough to be presmog.
Only now I would be dealing with an "old" car and all the "old" car problems.
Shoot man, I don't know? Just shopping for viewpoints, and I am glad to get both yours and KIWI birds...
Bill

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
SFO, I had an FJ55 w/327 chev mated to stock Toyota 4speed via adapters etc. I wish I'd never gotten rid of it:( It was a great vehicle in all respects. They are rare now ($$$) if you know what I mean... The 327/350 V8 is actually lighter weight than the stock I6 and gets better fuel milage to boot...a win-win :cool:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Hey Dirt...

Can you tell me anything more?
Did you do the v8 conversion yourself? Kit Quality?
What mileage did you get with it?
How did it ride?
How did it pull a trailer?
I am getting excited here...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
SFO... very nice piece of aluminum art man, very cool. Thanks!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
SFO,
I wasn't able to get over to see if the TLC was still there - sorry, buddy. I might be able to do it this weekend - the wife is working on Sat so I should be able to cut out on the honey-do list for a little while:p

There are some very nice conversion kits out there & there are some real pieces of crap. I think a lot of it depends on how meticulous/professional/anal the installer is. You're a machinist, right? I suspect yours would be an awfully clean conversion.

The 2F can be made to run very well - just depends on what you're looking for. I have a '79 CJ-7 with the AMC 304 V-8 and there are times I wish I had the 258 straight 6.

The TLC is going to ride like a tank - that's how they're built. Leaf springs front & rear with the articulating shackle on the front of the front leafs, ala Jeep.

I've got a bunch of TLC articles from the various mags - OffRoad did a series of articles on converting a FJ-40 to a 383 chevy. Moses Ludel was the author - great info.

Brian

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Brian,

Could I ask you to send me those articles?
I would send them back with a small gift.
This looks interesting, to do a j-55.
Keep thinking about it...
Thanks, Bill

Top Bottom