Flag Etiquite-Please Take a Moment to Read.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind
should, being the key word. it's all about taste i guess. case in point, after grenada, the only parades were on post. anyway, one unit was coming back, later than the others, several days, anyway, we had time to prepare, so i got out the 82d dress patch,(red white and blue, all americans dontchya' know) and sewed it on a small , prob 8"x12", flag, oposite the union, on the bars. anyway, we go out for our "parade" and stand ther watching the units march by and my buddy says,"let me see that flag, cool' so he gets it, pulls it full open with both hands and kinda waves it back and forth at the marching troops. last we thought about that flag.......until the next issue of soldier magazine came out. i think it's a DA pub or at least with alot of DA backing and support. low and behold, on the back cover, full color, full cover, is my buddy waving that flag back and forth infront of his face with a great big grin! :think: my one shot at fame, by "defacing" the american flag, while in uniform...lost!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Our flag was flown over Iraq...in an F16!

A pilot friend gave it to us. They occasionally loaded the plane up with flags, flew them over Iraq, then distributed them to family and friends.

There is also something about the size of the flag in the rules I've heard. Apparently a very large flag is reserved for certain occasions.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
there are three kinds, the Storm Flag, the smallest for use in storms and bad weather, the Post Flag for normal use, and the Garrison Flag for use on Holidays, and Sundays.

The Storm flag is 5 feet by 9 feet 6 inches.

The Post Flag is 10 feet by 19 feet

The Garrison Flag is 20 feet by 38 feet (but never flown from a flagpole shorter than 65 feet)

Last edited:

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Hey Lou, thanks for posting this. I took a poll amoung my ninth graders and discovered only three out of 150 had ever been taught anything about their Flag. Since I start my USA geography unit tomorrow Sept 11 I am gonna use this info in the opening of the unit along with having them draw one correctly.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Lou, my son is a color guard at his school, as I tried this morning to explain how to display the flag monday morning I could not speek, then I remembered your post, THANK YOU!
God bless America.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
bump

Top Bottom