Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
As most of you know, we need to flag open riding this year. Looking for comments/suggestions.

We will also have to assign "practice times" during open riding on the main track for the different levels of riders. This does NOT mean riding time will be limited, just organized.

Any input is appreciated.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
when I'm not riding, eating, or BS'ing I'll have a flag in my hand. I plan on taking a comfortable chair, an umbrella, and a book. Okie, I don't think we will need a lot of volunteers, just in some blind places.
I don't have a problem doing this, and will gladly do it with a smile. I just don't want anyone to ever have to go through what we have for the last 2 1/2 months. Maybe we could do it in as pairs. everyone gets an hour session or two paired up with another DRN'er you don't know. It'll give everyone a chance to meet someone new.
my .02

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
There should be a board setup with time blocks for each days track time. Something like hour blocks with atleast 2 flaggers per hour pre-booked on the board the day before. If there are still open spots it can be annouced at the morning meeting. With 200+ people this should be a breeze to do with no one having to do more than 1 slot that week. Then if anyone wants to just flag for awhile they can grab a flag and find a spot. Heck i spent alot of time filming and flagging mentally. I know alot of parents watch their kids during the beginner time frame so those slots should be easily filled.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Too many flaggers would be a great problem to have. I REALLY feel that if you ride a practice session you sould be required to flag another session that day and if you race in any of the events you flag another class. Sure some folks might gripe that they are there to have fun but then so is everybody else.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I also will be flagging a lot, happy to do it! The sign up board with blocks of time is a great idea, a sandwich board at the entrance to the track showing the people who are on the track at that time is another. How about a flag captain for each time block who gets together with the volunteers a little before each session so that everyone knows where to go what to look out for etc. and makes sure there are enough people for coverage. (sounding a little too much like a teacher aren't I :o )

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Beef - that was my exact idea to Okie not too long ago. Say we need 4 flaggers per time slot.. ther person in flagging position 1, makes sure that all flaggers are in position before the practice can start. That way, if someone forgot their time slot and doesnt show, practice cant begin until someone shows up or fills in.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
How about in an effort to raise money and awareness we do a bachelorette flager date auction. We have some really cute DRN girls that some of the gents might pay handsomely to spend an hour with at a flagging station. If our girls were interested in taking in a little Stillwater sunshine ala bikini, I think it could be a real hit. Problem is some guys might never get any riding time in.
I hear GSR does this interesting thing with sparklers. :cool:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Patman
Too many flaggers would be a great problem to have. I REALLY feel that if you ride a practice session you sould be required to flag another session that day and if you race in any of the events you flag another class. Sure some folks might gripe that they are there to have fun but then so is everybody else.

I couldn't agree more. If you wanna ride you should offer to help. Seems fair to me. :cool:

I have a pretty killer two-piece... Sign me up for flagging Crispy!

Last edited:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
killer 2 piece???? I think maybe I'll flag too
:thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe a sliding scale attendance fee? Everybody pays X+$10 or $15 per day then if you follow through you get your +fee back. If you have no interest in helping then you just pay the +fee and do your thing at DW.

Now ~D if we could get the Fluffy Bunny in that 2 piece there might be a big bidding war :)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Now ~D if we could get the Fluffy Bunny in that 2 piece there might be a big bidding war :)

Between your suggestion and oldguy's offer, us poor girls won't stand a chance. ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Whyzee
How about in an effort to raise money and awareness we do a bachelorette flager date auction. We have some really cute DRN girls that some of the gents might pay handsomely to spend an hour with at a flagging station. If our girls were interested in taking in a little Stillwater sunshine ala bikini, I think it could be a real hit. Problem is some guys might never get any riding time in.
I hear GSR does this interesting thing with sparklers. :cool:

hahahahahah . . .

:p Hmm, pink velvet 2 piece or Coors Light one piece?

Seriously, I would probably scare people, as I don't get much sun. I wouldn't need a flag, I could just wave my arms.

Actually I think one of the biggest problems with keeping people out there flagging is time . . . how many of us wore a watch at DW? Maybe if we blew some kind of horn or whistle--what could be heard all through the pits?

Last edited:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22

Actually I think one of the biggest problems with keeping people out there flagging is time . . . how many of us wore a watch at DW?

Not having too look at the time is the nicest thing about DW! Arrive there and dont worry time til the following week.

FC, if you wear your suit and i wear mine we'll have a ton of wrecks in our flagging spots due to riders going blind when they see us. Spending more time in the sun wont help my tan any. ;)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Maybe a sliding scale attendance fee? Everybody pays X+$10 or $15 per day then if you follow through you get your +fee back. If you have no interest in helping then you just pay the +fee and do your thing at DW.

Not a bad idea the only downside I can see is that you pay the +fee and intend to flag, for some reason you decide to forfeit your fee and not flag an hour before your turn, who flags your spot? Along the same lines part of signing your kid up for hockey through the local community center here was a commitment for volunteer duty in the canteen. Everyone would give a $25 deposit on the duty and you get your deposit back at the end of your shift. Problem being several people felt it was worth the $25 to not have to volunteer and the bottom line ended up with the community club $25 richer but the canteen closed for the users of the community club. Now the volunteer duty is gone and you are charged a fee which is then used to hire local kids to work the canteen.

I wonder if it would be feasible to hire a local group of young racers looking for a part time job for the week that the + fee could cover? the downside being then we make a commitment to another expense for Okies shindig that we should be able to cover ourselves.

For the record if I can keep LazyBoy's bones intact and actually make it to DW04 you can contact on our family to more than pull our share of time with the flags.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by Chili

I wonder if it would be feasible to hire a local group of young racers looking for a part time job for the week that the + fee could cover?

College kids from OSU maybe?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
This year we had an abundance of things for give-aways... What about giving each flag volunteer a raffle ticket when they pick up their flag. Every 2 practices they flag is worth 1 ticket. Then at night before the giveaways we call out 5 "flagger tickets" and they get first dibs on the lute. Even non-riders would get into that.

I think we could get away with 5 or 6 flaggers so it should not be too bad.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by Okiewan
I then have to insure them... that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. No to mention flaggers that have no idea what their doing.

Have to admit the insurance thing hadn't popped into my head. As far as knowing what they are doing, if they were getting paid I would hope a quick tutorial would do the trick.

At least the thread has some idea's flowing I'm sure we will come up with a workable solution.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I was curious if I could flag and video at the same time. My camera director said that I shouldnt but next year Ill be videoing and would like to flag at the same time. It would only help the flaging situation. We tried to get cameras all over the track just like you would want flaggers.
Also are you thinking of having flaggers on the course all week?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
WHat about paying a fee, if you flag, you get your fee back.. If you dont flag, the person that filled in for you gets your fee..
Rick

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Originally posted by Whyzee
We have some really cute DRN girls that some of the gents might pay handsomely to spend an hour with at a flagging station. If our girls were interested in taking in a little Stillwater sunshine ala bikini

I'm in! As long as the weather cooperates this year! :confused:

On a serious note...last year I signed up to flag 3 or 4 different events and when I showed up I wasn't needed, so I don't think doing things on a volunteer basis would be an issue. I don't believe there are many (if any at all) DRN'ers that wouldn't be willing to give up an hour or two of their day to be sure the rest of their comrades are safe.

I agree with Thump on the extra raffle ticket idea too...a little initiative always made me a willing volunteer!

Last edited:
Top Bottom