Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
when i watch crusty videos, the guys who flat land seems to have a way to drop the rear tire closer to the ground just before they land,, are they hitting the gas or pulling back on the bars? IF they are hitting the gas, does this keep them from going over the bars on the landing?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
When I know I'm going to flat land after a jump I gas it right before I hit. It helps to stiffen the rear suspension through increased chain torque and it rotates the front end of the bike up so you land on the rear wheel first. I keep the gas on until the front when touches so it doesn't slam down (and keeps you from going over the bars).

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Yes, the rear wheel drops exactly because of those guys gassing it just before they land. They probably would not go over the bars, but the suspension works much better when you land on the gas (especially on four-strokes, since the engine braking really sucks down the bike).

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
All I got to say on this topic is flat landings sure do hurt a whole bunch. Hmmm 21 stiches in my forehead than a few weeks later a sprained wrist. The lesson learned here is give it gass just prior to landing. It feels much better.

Steven

hotrodvw

Dec 15, 2002
Funny.....I do best on flat landings, and am scared to death to watch the ground drop beneath me when shooting for a backside landing. I am still figuring it out.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I am amazed at how high one can be and land without impact when the landing is angled instead of flat. An angle of just 10 degrees is enough to counter the jolt from being 10-12 ft up,on a 40 footer. It is just like ski jumpers. Trajectory + matching landing angle= almost no suspension travel.

berm buster

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2001
Tedkx, has it right, the main reason the landing is so much smoother when
the landing is angled rather than flat, is Gravity. This mysterious force is
practically useless when the bike lands nose down and matches the
landing face.

One thing to keep in mind, it is most important that your bike match the
angle that you are landing on, you can still land on an angled ramp, and have
a very hard landing if you land on the rear wheel first, let off the gas and
let the front wheel slam down. OUCH!

When your up in the air 10 to 15 feet, and you land on flat ground, you have
gravity pulling straight down, all 400 LBs. But, when you land on an angled
surface correctly, the downward pull of gravity is almost eliminated.

Note: This mysterious force does not seem to work on "Bubba" Stewart,
I have seen him jump a 65' foot triple, completely overshoot the landing,
land completely flat, and just keep rolling, absolutely amazing!
I have seen other people (Mortals) do the same thing, and them and their
bike bounce completely off the track!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Goes to show that factory guyz really do have suspension that works and is the reason why it is so expensive to us mortals.
I also found that to get the angle on the backsides correct, I had to lean more forward and push the bike in the air and sometimes I have let off on the face to intentionally start a endo. Remember I ride about 3 times a week on the same track(in my backyard) and all the jumps have been a progression of my skills. when I go to other lesser tracks I still cannot make it to the back sides of some jumps, due to the holes and lips present on the jump ramps. It really helps to be able to do a jump over and over again.
If I was going to do it again to learn, I would have two lanes with two exact jumps so in the oval I was doing the jump twice on every lap. Once perfected you would increase the ramp size, or angle or jump length(but only after comfortably overjumping the landing).

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
The other reason to gas it on flat landings is to drive the force of landing foward instead of down. That's the same reason why it is good to role when you fall, or why Nascar guys would rather role a car down the infield at 200 mph rather than hit a wall staight on at 100 mph, all of those help absorb the energy of impact over a longer distance. Also, as you land a hard landing, it helps to let your body go through full range of motion from the front attack position to back and flexed on the bike, using all fo your joint as one giant shock absorber.

Top Bottom