Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I enjoy jumping tabletops and step-ups, there is the going up side and usually the going down side. But what about the single jumps that catapults you in a more vertical position and there is no landing ramp to cushion your descent? I'm talking about the ones you can hit really hard & fast but by doing so you catch a lot of air and loose a lot of forward momentum. My landings remind me of falling off of a building or the mattress commercial where they drop the bowling ball off a board about 10 feet in the air, it hurts when I land. What do you do in these kinds of situations? Is there a technique to these or am I crazy for trying to hit a jump like this?:confused:

Barry319

Nov 23, 2000
There are 2 jumps now on my local track like that. Wiley Coyote Syndrome. I'm trying to modify a kidney belt to use as a jock to keep my nards from hitting my knee cups on these WCS landings. Till then I stay forward to keep the bike level. Downshift and pin it for the landing. This does not work worth a half a crap either. Sorry If this isn't helpfull. Air is great though eh? Fly on dude.

rumblefish

Apr 21, 2000
I wouldn't hit the jump that hard if you have no landing to work for. My friend's track has a 102 foot table on it, and I don't always make the landing. So I know the feeling you speak of. The only advice I could offer is to be ready for it, and land under power.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
OK, for an old spodes opinion.....
Try sucking the bike up under you when you leave the jump face. It's kinda like absorbing some of the energy with your legs. Then sorta push back in flight. This tends to make me go not as high and I can get to the dirt quicker and at a better angle (not as much arc). I always do this on rythum sections where one can't quite double the hills.
On step-ups, I just hope I have enough juice and don't catch the lander with my back tire and endo.:eek: If you do happen to come in weak, draggin the back brake (a little) and staying rearward helps. I see many kids seat hoping the step-ups to get more flight.
Like was mentioned before, be on the gas when you land.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Look for

and advantage spot

I call these pen jumps.

The is one pen jump at a track i go to that is right behind a berm and in front of another berm, most guys hit this jump and then scatter for controll to make the next berm.

I have found that if I approach it like I want to jump it then Brake hard before it, using my rear to keep the front down once I get over it I am prefectly set up for the next berm.

where the other guys are still in search of controll from that SLAP landing.

Try diffrent things

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Land with the rear wheel about a foot higher than the front and give it alot of gas to keep the front end from slapping down really hard. That should make the landing nice and cushy for you.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Ouch! I don't know about landing on the front wheel like that! :scream:

I would try to get as little air as possible, but when I do land flat with little forward momentum, I try to land with the back wheel about a foot lower than the front and I try to shift my weight rearward a little. I've busted my head too many times on crossbars, perches, and brake reservoirs...shifting back means if I flop down on the bike (I prefer to remain loose), I won't beat up the handlebars with my face.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
OOPS!!! I screwed up! Typo on my part. Sorry! I ment what Gomer said. Rear wheel lower not higher, DOH!!!

A front wheel landing on flat ground would be pretty bad.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I tried hitting this little jump as you all have suggested and it helped. The only thing I failed to mention is as soon as I hit the ground I am starring at a tree. The track makes a sweeping left turn with no berm to assist in the turn, it's just a flat turn. I slowed the robound down on the shock to keep the back end from bouncing as much and that helped also.

Top Bottom