elvismx

Oct 8, 2000
I raced the modern support class at a vintage race this weekend, and while I did well (even got my picture made on the podium!:)), it showed how much work I need on flat turns- not just flat, but off-camber, slick, grass-track type turns. I tried my best to use all the right techniqes, such as weighting the outside peg, using a higher gear to smooth the power delivery (helped with sliding out, but didn't feel any faster... just smoother), etc. Now that a jumpless, 19-turn track has shown me what I need to work on, I'm laying out a flat track near my MX track. I was really impressed by how fast some guys could get around the same turns that were giving me fits. Any of you experts have any tips on what practice techniques and drills give the most results?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I like to do the old "set up the cones" routine and pratice turns. It really helps a lot but I don't do it as much as I should. I start with a couple and pratice breaking & turning then I add a couple more, spread them out a bit so I can go faster and alternate directions sort of like figure 8's.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
<----far from expert

Too much air in your tires can cause problems.
Keep your elbows out and try to lean the bike more.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
im not positive, but i believe that if you initiate the turn, then use the throttle, and counter steer, it will allow you to carry a lot of momentum through a flat grass corner. this technique is similar to road riding. (i believe)

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
i believe that if you initiate the turn, then apply more throttle, and counter steer, you will kind of slide through the corner, retaining a lot of momentum. this technique is similar to some road riding techniques. (i have never had to use it personally.) also, be sure to keep as much weight foreward as possible, in order to allow your back end to slide. i would also try and find the outside edge of the most used line, there might be a little berm, or rut that you can get a little extra traction out of.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Another trick is to use the brake and throttle at the same time rather than fanning the clutch to keep the engine speed up. By braking against the engine you can control the corner speed and keep the revs up to accelerate smoothly out of the turn. Dumping the clutch causes too much wheel spin causing you to lose traction and control when coming out of a corner.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
alot of times

you hear that "weighting the oustide peg" term used. This is a very true statment, but as AJ pointed out to me at spodefest1 during our schools that its not only the the foot and the peg but your leg, knee etc that should be putting "force" into the high side of the bike around the corner. '

On flat turns specially off camber ones you need to also "lay the bike over" but keep your body straight or perpendicular to the ground and this will also put the most weight on the tires, being smooth is prolly the best thing to do like you stated. Once your smooth with the transisition of the corner you can then start slowly to increase you're corner speed.

wardy

duke

Oct 9, 1999
While many advocate the keeping of the torso up right as you lay the bike over, I have heard some "experts" claim by failing to lean your head and shoulders into the turn, you fighting to keep the bike from turning. In essence you are telling the bike one thing, "turn left", while your upper body in remaining straight up and down, says"go straight". Any thoughts on this?

Duke

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would think that would depend on if you had some berm to work with.

neWRiver

Oct 25, 2001
The difficulty in keeping momentum through a flat or off camber turn on a knobby tire (and especially where you have loose sand/soil over hardpack) is not so much turning the bike, but holding a line through the turn (i.e., traction against the lateral g-force). Getting your body up on the high side and bearing down on it is how you get your bike to "carve" the turn. Also, when the bike starts to g-out on you, you can still control it. If you are hanging the turn with your upper body, your are relying solely on the hookup between the tire and the the terrain and any slight slip of traction will result very quickly in a low side sled ride.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom