Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
We just got back from our trip to Marquette. It was supposed to be the Team PTP training ride but work got in the way for our team mechanic NAPPER. Tommy Dixon was given the honor of being first alternate which he gladly accepted while wee wee was running down his pants. I will have photos soon but the digital disc that comes with the throw away camera is a “send it in” deal that won't be ready until Wednesday.

We learned two new phrases while up there and got to see MAGOO, our most excellent trail guide demonstrate them both on our Friday night warm up ride. “Kitty-whampus” through the trail Friday night picking himself off the ground several times but going “faster than disaster” but I’m getting a bit ahead of my self. We arrive 4PM at the Bass Lake trail head and in a few minutes a 300 Gasgas rider introduces himself as barkbuster67 - “WALT” Walt said he was going to ride with us but had a few things to do to the bike. Magoo arrives, we suit up and off we go on our 26 mile UP adventure. 5 of us through the sweetest single-track you can imagine and no freaking whoops. Pretty technical for ORV stuff and a blast. MAGOO and WALT were after each other and riding like the wind and apparently Magoo caught a few gusts as he did some Kitty-whapmpus moves.(KITTY-WHAMPUS = all over the place bouncing off stuff) I won’t go into detail about all the dismounts because I didn’t get to see most of them. We finished our ride and sucked down a beer in celebration. (‘cept for little Tommy of course) WALT shows us his trailer and “Walt Disney” he isn’t –there lots of really great pictures in his trailer with zebra skin rug flooring but it ain’t rated “G” NAPPER would love it I’m sure. Walt was an immediate hit with TEAM PTP!

We had a fine dinner at a Northern Lodge that name escapes me but all the 3 prettiest girls that live in the UP work there we decided. Tommy sure liked the visit. We left there and headed for the staging area for the Loose Moose National Enduro to camp excited to taste the technical terrain in the morning. Walt wasn’t going to join us because he wanted to go shoot at some feathered thing, drink beer and stuff. We were in training and wouldn’t consider it. We left Don Marsh a voice mail because he was to join us for the ride. On the way to the camping area I decided to call our buddy Napper and recommend he save a LARGE BOX so we can pack up some the extra fun we were having and ship it to him but he didn’t answer his phone so I called AL “Orange Fury” Randt to deliver the message.

We set our alarm clocke for the morning and hit the sack. MOring arrives and we drink some coffee and wait like kids at Christmas…..we talked to a few of the locals riding there and Magoo finally arrives. (Don chickened out!) After throwing his bike off his truckfor him and help getting him dress we decided to hit the Mini Mountain first and do the first loop from the enduro. FREAKING AWESOME! Words cannot describe this stuff so we have pictures to share. We make a stop at the famous 8 foot DROP OFF that was in the enduro creating parking lots of riders at the top. Magoo takes it first and we all do it one after another. WE have pictures to prove –piece o cake! We talk Magoo into riding up it and he made it kinda. The bike was shooting to the sky and his feet were flying off the back as the bike lurched backward but stayed on top but bouncing off the tree. Pretty cool-glad it wasn’t me! We took pictures of the drop off and verify that it is in fact at least 7 feet. We took off and ride the coolest stuff and finally make it back from the first loop. I think we rode like 14 miles and were gone almost 2 hours and we weren’t goofing around much. Up and down rock faces, ledges, tight trees –it was a blast if you didn’t have to go fast! We were just besides ourselves with excitement.

Back for lunch and we meet a guy named Stan from Oregon. He decided to take his KTM 380(!) out on the big mountain with us. We rode the “A” section that was the final test for the national A class riders. WOW-AWESOME! This stuff is up and down rock ledges where you have to hit a stump perfect to jump over the lip. Piece of cake! No really, we all pretty much cleaned all the 124,674 obstacles except for 2-3 apiece. IN general it was a huge success and not damaged bodies or bikes. Words cannot describe the stuff we rode but we have pictures to prove it. It is unbelievable –technical and a real work out. We meet up with some guys on the mountain that were from the Traverse City- Kalkaska area and they followed us back. Now that our big mountain loop was finished it was get a drink and off to the moon rocks!!! Waa Hoo! We started off with the famous “A” off camber section and it was freaking gnarly! It give us the most trouble of the day and we all had a bobble or two in some spots but no damage, just a couple retries. Stan had had enough and bailed off. I was a cagy fox and spotted the trail guide going by about 100 feet away and decided to go right instead of wait for the carnage to clear on the face of a rocky lipped, root infested hill climb. When the others caught up we were faced with an immediate left hand turn and an 10 foot rock face climb –we were concerned but we all smoked up it. Piece of cake!

I finally got to ride just behind the trail guide and was having a blast going over moon rock after moon rock the size of small buildings. (We have pictures to prove it.) Tight choice single track and then BAM!, a moon rock or three to conquer. The guys that were tagging along with us were good riders but were on MX bikes and had to bail or run out of fuel. The final sections of the day were just the 4 of us. It was so awesome. We have pictures to prove it.

After the ride we return, never in our lives been so tired riding 55 miles that took us from 10 AM to 6 PM to do. We felt like we rode 100 miles but this stuff just demanded your constant attention and energy to do and get it right. What a fantastic work out. Magoo said we rode all the most technical stuff they have there and we pretty much did it with huge smiles on our faces the entire time.

We had Freddy burgers and Brats for dinner, a few beers and some quality bench racing until like 10 PM and Magoo headed home and we hit the sack and slept like babies.

I WANT TO THANK MAGOO FOR HIS HOSPITALITY AND BEING OUR TRAIL GUIDE -IT WAS A MEMORBALE TRIP WE WILL NEVER FORGET. THANK YOU SIR!!! :cool:

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
LETS SEE THE PICS! Particularily the infamous 8 foot (now 7...hmmm did it shrink?) drop off!

Sounds like an outstanding ride Fred! I have often thought of lining up a tour guide (ie Magoo) and doin the same...no race would make it a blast as it evidently did for you!)

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Shhhh, Freddy, don't give all the secret lines away!! We'll have to come up with more new trail... :debil:
And, maybe I should sell directions to the restaurant we went to... great scenery, eh? ;)
It was a hoot riding with you guys! Thanks for letting me feel like a fast guy by letting me lead most of the time! I did crash a few times, but hey, I gotta demonstrate those new phrases for you so you know the REAL meanings!
We did in fact ride all the gnarly stuff! Not many people will go all day on the trails that we did, and still come out smiling like you guys! It was awesome.
We rode sections and parts of the trail that I consider MUCH GNARLIER than the "famous drop off" (FDO) that Team PTP conquered with aplomb. There were certainly places that if a mistake were made, the consequences would be much worse than falling off the FDO. With each mile, Team PTP kept pushing me (and pushing me) to go faster and harder so they could vanquish yet another obstacle to come before them. Rise to the challenge, they did, and they flat wore me out! I darn near spent the nite in the FredT-mobile due to the cumulative effects of awesome riding, FredT burgers, good friends, and a couple of cans of Blue! What a day!
Just a regular 'ol day in the wonderful life of Magoo... :aj:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I want to thank Mike and Fred for dragging me along on the best damn trail ride ever!!! Then I would like to thank Magoo and Walt for riding with us!! You guys are great. I had a blast, the scenery on and off the trail was excellent and the trail was second to none. I love that tough, technical, rocky, and hilly stuff. Luckily, no one got stuck in any mud because I would've had to tell them, "Sorry man, I'm trail riding..." It was definitely a trail ride to remember.

Fred, Mike, and Jeff: You 3 missed ALL the jumps......

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I will wait until the pictures are available to add to Freddie's ride report...

All I can say is WOW!! If I could, I would do a back flip and still say WOW.

If, however, you were on your head with your motorcycle on top of you....you might say MOM
(WOW upside down)...ain't that right Magoo. No pictures of that event.

Honestly, this was the best trail ride!!! THANKS MAGOO!!!! I hope you and Carrie can make it to Trailfest.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Sorry I didn't make it guys. Thanks for the invite anyway. I was just a few miles from you in AuTrain for a weekend of fun and letting the wife get some QUAD riding in. Believe me I was thinking about the trails you were riding and the times you were having as I was riding behind a bunch of slow QUADS.
But I did get some brownie points in but I used them up to fast!
Don

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Don

Do I have to drive up the Kasky and slap you? Freaking quad riding in da UP for god sakes man what were you thinking???

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
To sum it all in one word- WIFEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Don

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
well fred sounds like magoo snowed you again. first of all its secret training magoo and he is sizing you guys up trust me. like going up the drop off he fumbled just to make himself look human becareful. also It is nice to know that team PTP knows its place yes you will always be flatlanders. By the way has mark becker submitted his app to move to the UP yet? rember it must be reviewed. Oh magoo is in the ins. biz hope you dont get a bill for guide service. barkbuster67 what a stud you should talk to his girlfried then you would understand what a man. anyhow comeback 'eh' no quads or dune buggys

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
2/3 PTP and Tommy D.... Sounds like you guys experienced the ultimate UP adventure ride! And what better way than w/ trailboss Magoo. Dismounts aside, keep in mind his bike hasn't been Napperized, AND he just rode 180 miles before you got there. Looking forward to the pictures, but you know it won't do it justice.... kinda like pics of the Grand Canyon! You have to ride it and live it!

And don't ever under-estimate the power of "P". After 30+ years of marriage, I think Don's got a pretty sweet deal going.... even if it means ridin' quads 3x a year. Hell, she could have dragged him to a craft show or outlet mall for the weekend!

Nick Z - Good to see that even with a limp wrist, ya still got da' Yooper swagger. And sounds like Walt's trailer is pretty cool. A man's gotta have a domain to call his own.... even if it includes a zebra-skin rug, mirrored ceiling, and warmed bottles of Klotz R50 on the shelf....

Last edited:

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
I also have had the opportunity to ride with the infamous "Magoo the trail guide" on the 'Big Mountain'. I agree that this the most awesome single track trail I have ever seen or heard of! If you like technical riding you will be smiling for a least a week after you get home from the trail and no one but the guys who rode with you will understand the intensity of the level of dirt biking fun! Fred, my fellow Ohio friends and I can very much relate to your ride. There is nothing like it for the average trail rider who does not race all over the country(all the Lansing Boys). Great to hear a ride report I can deeply relate to. Magoo and the Zambon clan are very, very blessed to have this in their back yard. I have to plan a yearly ride from Ohio. By the way, I cannot believe that drop off on the mini-mountain caused such a stir. The boys racing it must have problems with the "mind over matter" part.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Smit-Dog, Thanks for the help in defending my honor!
Quads are not bad they make great portabile bridges when needed.
I like that, the power of "P" 31 Years in November!
She did drag me to Munising for a short time.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Walt's trailer.....

Did Fred mention the Presidential advertisement? Never more proud to be a Republican! Freddie thought the picture had been air brushed, but he took a long time analyzing before he came to that conclusion.

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Well I am truly glad that my team members had a great time. However I just got off the phone with young Tommy Dixon and he is still just a little bit freak out. First hopefully everyone one here remembers Smokey and the Bandit. Well Big Ennis(Mike) and Little Ennis(Fred) somehow manage to take a shower together in Little Ennis motorhome and poor little Tommy walk in to see them trying to conserve water. That poor young man.

Napper

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Napper!!! I thought we were going to keep that a secret!!! Ahhh! The nightmares are going to start again...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
michman said:
Well Big Ennis(Mike) and Little Ennis(Fred) somehow manage to take a shower together in Little Ennis motorhome and poor little
Napper

A couple of facts on the subject.
1. Have you ever seen the shower? Maurer wouldn't fit by himself and even if his midget didn't get mad I doubt it would work out.
2.Tommy was pretty tired getting such a work out with the mighty team PTP training ride. We even wore poor Magoo the trail guide out. So I think he was confused with some dreaming he was having inspired by Walts trailer no doubt and the fact that hs is a member of the KGP. It says so on his box that he got his Moose Gear in.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Napper - you just THINK you are funny. There were NO water conservative activities.

I heard Tommy was the Leader of the KGP.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I heard Tommy was the Leader of the KGP.

I am not the leader of any such organization!!!

Unless it means:

Kicking
Guys on team
PTP

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
pics

Here are 3 pictures finally.
#1 is the famous drop off we all rode down. We are standing a foot or 2 up the face and it's still over Tommys head.

#2 Is a picture of me launching off a moon rock near the end of the day Saturday.

#3 is a picture of us taking a break on Friday night on the Bass Lake loop. Magoo on the left, then Tommy, then WALT and me. Mike is the photographer.

Attachments

• FDO.jpg
    FDO.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 127
  • FTMR.jpg
    FTMR.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 114
  • fri.break.jpg
    fri.break.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
First picture is me going down a tricky rocky drop off in the AA section from the July National this year. Too far and you go down a cliff! You have to turn left immediatly at the bottom or you will. Then it go's about 100 feet down the where Magoo is in the next picture. Then it gos down another 150 feet off to the right. It's a pucker butt descent! :yikes:

Second picture is Magoo standing more down hill from the section I was just in the first picture from where I was the trail then descends to the left over many staircased rock ledges toward Magoo for about a total of 100 feet. Magoo is standing at the next dogleg where the trail then turns to the right after that 4 foot drop off and does it again for another 150 feet. This was a gnarly down hill. The picture doesn't show it but all the "soil" is about 80% rock so the edges don't round off on those drops.

The Last photo is Me, Magoo, Tommy and Mike having a cool Labatts after a fun warm up ride Friday night just before the dinner where Tommy got to see all the pretty girls. :laugh:
We are standing outside Walts trailer after admiring all his nice pictures. :aj:

Attachments

• FTAA.jpg
    FTAA.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 113
  • magooAA.jpg
    magooAA.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Bluetime.jpg
    Bluetime.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah. The pictures just can't do it Justice. The hills were steeper and gnarlier than the pictures make them look. But you can still see the smiles! :cool:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
nzambon said:
also It is nice to know that team PTP knows its place yes you will always be flatlanders. . anyhow comeback 'eh' no quads or dune buggys

Thanks for the invite Snomobile Nick. :rotfl: Time to renew your Sled-heads subscription soon I bet. :moon:

Top Bottom