eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
got a flat on sunday,spun the tire on the rim and tore the stem off the tube to boot.when i took it apart the steel cable in the tire bead was broken in one spot, stickin out like a piece of barbed wire,anyone ever had this happen? the tire has only 40 miles of trails(new this season),its a dunlop 756 .i'm not sure why the rim lock didn't hold the tire,any tips on how to ensure a good bite on the bead with it? thanks for any info!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Would suggest that the rimlock is not fit for purpose. Buy another brand & check it is correct for the size tire. Tire sounds scary. You may even wish to return it to the distributor via the shop for comment. They may even decide to subsidise your next one. Is it possible the rim lock damaged the tire?

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
the rimlock and the tube were not damaged by the tire,other than the stem coming off when it spun.i wonder if i might have done it putting it on,it was a bear to get on but all i used were regular tire irons? the rimlock is the stock kdx piece although i had a 110/100 on i think stock is a 100/100 but the tire i took off was a 110 dunlop 695. i was wondering about sidewall strength with this broken,any thoughts?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
my KDX consumes at least one tube per month due to spun tires. My beadlock looks brand new, it's OEM Kawasaki, I'm pretty puzzled by it :think

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm running a 100/100-18 Dunlop 755, stock rim, stock beadlock. My Can-Am has two beadlocks. Everyone I have asked about running a double beadlock says it makes changing tires a complete pain.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I wonder if the tire was damaged by the tire irons. Ideally you should remount the tire without them favouring a rubber mallet. Works great on road tires & slicks but knobblies can resist this persuasion. Try a different brand of rimlock.

If you are getting real desperate (depends how many times you’ve got stuck in the middle of nowhere) the bush approach is self-tapping screws through the rime & into the bead. I’ve never been that desperate but is the set up for speedway & used to be for drag racing. If I was ever desperate enough I’d be sure to put a dab of silicone to stop water getting into the rim layers.

Top Bottom