Float Bowl Screws

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
anybody know if you can buy the four float bowl screws that hold the float bowl onto the carb? The dealership had two of mine torqued down too hard and i messed up the screw heads..
the carb is a keihein sp? Or should i just pull one out and take it to a hardware store?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I replace mine with allen head screws from the hardware store. The stock screws are intentionally soft so you can't easily strip the threads in the carb, so if you replace them with something harder, be very careful not to overtighten.

B

biglou

Drew-Yes, take them to a hardware store. I think they are M4's (metric thread). And heed Vic's advice about not torqueing them down too tight. The new screws will strip the threads out of the carb, and then you'l really feel bad!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
What Vic said! Use a flat head punch to "reform" the Phillips heads to get them out.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I've had this problem before. I just ordered the new screws from a shop and never had a problem with the new screws. I also found using small vice grips will work good to loosen or tighten the screws while I was waiting n my new screws to arrive.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I replace mine with stainless, socket head cap screws.

davefire24

Jul 30, 2002
Yeah it's a common problem, you could go to the local hardware store and match them up. but i would go with allen head screws they work the best. you might be able to get allen head screws from the dealer i did. good luck!!!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Sometimes you can fix the stock screws. They are very soft. After they are out, put them in a vise with the heads exposed.

Peen the heads back into shape, then smack the end of a number two phillips screwdriver in them. New instand heads.

The socket head cap screw are much better though.

I bought titanium. My bike is much lighter now........Sorry, I have just recieved the new Motocross action magazine. I was carried away for a moment.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by David Trustrum
small cable ties never strip

or great big hoady wood screws if that tends to leak

Or, you could always weld the float bowl on. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about those pesky screws. :scream:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
sounds like i am in good company here! i cut slots in the old screws and took them out with a flathead screwdriver. then replaced them with hex socket boles. i got a long screwdriver type hexsocket driver, it has a very thin handle so it prevents overtightening. if you go for socket drive, be sure to spray them with carb cleaner if the carb is dirty, socket heads can fill up with dirt and there is a chance of not getting a good fit and then rounding the socket.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Vic, the problem is I rarely carry a cold chisel big enough to remove the float bowl out in the trail.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…