Float level causing lots of spooge?

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
I noticed when my dad was riding my '91 250 that when the engine is running, its dumping fuel out of the lines leading off the carb. (This is probably whats hurtin my gas mileage...OUCH!)

Anyway, is this caused by the float level being too high?
I was thinking that maybe a bunch of unburned fuel is coming out my exhaust and thats why i've got loads of spooge. I looked at my plug and it was nice and tannish color.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, blessings,......pancakes?

MattXR250R

Oct 21, 2002
if you have gas running out of the carb overflow tubes then it does indeed sound like a float problem..it is either set to high or you got some dirt stuck under the needle valve and it is letting in to much fuel..take the carb apart and check it out

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I agree with both comments above, but you're talking about two different things.

First, I would fix the float level & clean the needle and seat. That should stop the fuel from pouring out of the overflow tubes.

Next, refer to Canadian Dave's "Carb Tuning Tips" and dial in your carb.

That should put you back in business.

JCW

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
I know that it can be due to my mix ratio (mine's at 32:1), but I don't think that's my problem because my plug looked nice and tannish

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by KDXFreestyle
spooge is due to a too rich fuel to premix ratio.

Suppose one could think that if daddy wouldn't let one rejet.. ;)

Yes s.d., the spooge is unburned fuel and oil. There is likely an portion of the throttle running rich, and one running more correct.

Follow JCW's and Matt's advice. Additionally Search for specific KDX250 jetting threads, but the methods are the same. its all been done before.

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
i had the same problem last weekend with gas pouring out the float vent tube . took the carb off and took her apart and cleaned it out with throttle cleaner , no more peeing . :) as far as the spooge just re-jet , i would not run a less premix , the oil is there for a reason .

Dogz

Aug 30, 2003
Mine was really spooging bad! & fouling plugs whn I bought it.
It was jetted stock (165 main 42 pilot stock needle). And I run 50:1 Amsiol,
Redline or Klotz R50.
I tried a 160 main, Ran better at top end but had a flat (lean) spot in the
upper midrange. I currently have a 40 pilot jet in it, but could probably
go to a 38 (trying this spring).
I'm also going to put the 160 back in with a needle that has a mid clip position the same as the bottom clip positiopn of the stock needle.
Don't know the Keihin P/N for that yet. Anyone know?
I also have cut out the airbox lid, with a FMF pipe.
Don't use my numbers though, people run 155 to 165 mains in 250's.
Always start rich and don't change everything at once, buy a box
of plugs and keep doing plug chops.
I may also try a hotter plug, bikes all seem to come factory with cool
plugs

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Keep in mind that float level will affect jetting--it may be better once set...

try something like 42:1 fuel/premix. That should help a gvood abount wiht spooge. 32:1 is rich.
The opposite is corect!!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
The mix ratio of oil/fuel is not the answer to mega spooge because that is not what lean/rich is all about. On the other hand, I suggest that you be careful as you may get too light on the oil mix and sieze the piston.

Read Canadian Dave's "carb tuning tips". Lean/rich refers to how much fuel (temporarily disregarding the oil mix ratio) is mixed with air as it enters the engine. Your bike appears to be running too rich because there is too much fuel mixture and not enough air.

Jetting is the answer to this. Reducing the oil mixture will not cause the fuel mix/air ratio to change very much. The only way to solve this problem is to re-jet. After setting the float level and cleaning the needle and seat, jetting is the key- no substitutes at this point.

Canadian Dave's site is excellent and very easy to read, understand, and follow. Go For It!

JCW

mxrider76

May 12, 2006
how do u like your kdx 250? i might buy one

Chokey

Uhhh...
Oct 12, 2003
The fuel flowing from the overflow tube is definitely a float issue, you need to adjust the float height.

KDXFreestyle said:
try something like 42:1 fuel/premix. That should help a gvood abount wiht spooge. 32:1 is rich.
That, my friend, is wrong. Your mix ratio has absolutely nothing to do with spooge. Spooge is caused by rich jetting, period. When your jetting is too rich, the combustion temperatures are too low to effectively burn the oil, so the unburned oil becomes spooge. Correct jetting will alleviate this problem by raising the combustion temperature high enough to burn the oil. If you learn how to jet correctly, you can run a 20:1 mix if you want to and have zero spooge.

Switching from 32:1 to 42:1 will most likely make the spooge worse, not better, because you will be making your jetting richer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom