asscobra

Sep 12, 2007
1994 yz 125

need to know what float level to set , should it be 16mm as mentioned in the stickied guide ?

also it seems like you have to use quite the force to get the tang to push down the valve i really doubt just the float force of the.. float will make the job, is any pressure affecting this when running the machine or i ssomething wrong ?

i just got the bike so i have nothing to compare with if its right or wrong, but simply holding the carb upside down will NOT shut the valve, i have to apply a good deal of pressure to get it to close

gonna try get pictures of the assembly today

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The valve itself should require very little force to operate.

Try this: With the float haning down in its normal orientation blow through the gas input tube. You should be able to blow air easily past the valve. Now turn the whole thing upside down, so the weight of the float is resting on the valve. Now you should NOT be able to blow air through the tube.

If the bike has been sitting unused for a while and the gas was left on then it is quite likely that the gas evaporated / congealaed into some gunk that has glued the valve stuck. If that is the case then you need to disassemble the carburetor and clean it really well. I recommend buying a new set of gaskets as a minimum and preferably a new needle valve and seat for the float valve.

To properly clean the carburetor it needs to be completely disassembled, including removing the jets inside. Then it needs to soak for a few hours (or better, over night) in some really harsh solvent (buy it at the auto parts store). After it has soaked for a while rinse in water then blow dry (preferably with compressed air).

When you reassemble the float valve it is important to check the float height as the gasket under the float valve seat may have compressed a different amount which will change the height.

Rod

asscobra

Sep 12, 2007
thanks rod =), found why it was so hard to close the valve, the previous owner had changed the valve to a new one but placed the tang over the lil "safety" clip of the valve so it was pushing up on the clip and not the valve, now its all fixed and very smooth operating, new standard jet's fitted and carb cleaned =)

cheers!

still have no idea of the value of the float height tho so im going with the "level" method for now, ordered a repair manual for the bike today so ill write the correct value in this thread later if anyone needs it

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom