dragracer

Apr 30, 2002
I have a 2000 kdx200 that I just bought this past week. Everything seemed fine it allways started the first or second kick and rode around the yard just fine. i took it to a local state lake that has a riding area and it ran fine but after about two hours of riding it started loosing power and did not restart I pulled the plug and it was black and fouled out I popped another plug in and it started right up and ranfine for another 2 hours. this was time to go home. After i got home I washed the bike and cleaned the filters changed the oil etc. and when I tried to restart it would run for 30 seconds smoking real bad and then die it the plug was covered in gas I changed the plug and again the same thing. I went ahead and took the carb off and found a piece of lint clogging the air needle. I went ahead and fully cleaned the carb and checked out the float level and jet setting's averything was set to the stock setting's I put everything back together and again the same thing (start and die in 30 seconds fouling the plug) The bike has the air box lid removed and a fmf silencer all else is stock. Anyone have any idea's???

dragracer

Apr 30, 2002
Kdxtaz I beleive the jetting is too rich as per the plugs being black after a couple hour ride but, the big problem now is why does it flood out within 30 seconds of firing even with a new plug, here is some more details I run Belray synthetic oil mixed at 50:1 and run the stock BR8ES plug. thanks

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Again, this sounds like an extremely rich condition. You said float & jets are stock setting? Stock jets are too rich for nearly every condition, except maybe high elev. Make double sure float isn't too high , as this will flood it. I use a fuel level gauge (much more accurate). Also make sure air filter isn't restricted (not too much oil in it) & check the condition of the reeds, making sure they are installed properly. Clean & repack silencer. I hope this helps & good luck! :D

dragracer

Apr 30, 2002
Ok guys last night I took the carb and reed off again, The reed looks perfect it is tight and has no cracks etc. I rechecked the carb and can see no problems at all the float is set correctly, the needle looks good and all the passages are clear. It is still starting with a clean plug and running for maybe 30 seconds and then gas fouling the plug. you can then put a clean plug in and it does the same thing again. Please leave any suggestions.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Way out in left field here but, are you turning off the choke and make sure there is no obstruction keeping the choke from going fully in?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If you are running stock jetting then you can almost be guaranteed the jetting is much to rich to expect anything more than a couple hours on a plug. Check out the Tech Tips section of the JustKDX web page and have a look at the carb-tuning article. Just follow the link below.

Once properly jetted if the problem persists get back to us.

David

dragracer

Apr 30, 2002
Well guys, I seem to have learned a valuable 2-stroke lesson, I had been cleaning a couple of plugs I had and they would start and run for a few seconds and then foul out. Last night a friend had bought the wrong plugs for his KX250 which happened to be BR8ES's I put the brand new plug in and it started and ran great. My lesson learned is when I foul out a plug get a new one. I now have the cleanest carb around and plan on getting jet's to start rejetting my carb so fouling will not be a problem. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Top Bottom