BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Can anyone recommend a cure for a floppy KDX kickstand? Mine flops around a lot when riding over rough ground, and is getting worse. Is the spring just worn out?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by SandRooster220
Have you checked to make sure the bolts are tight...

I went over the whole thing before last Sunday's ride to be sure it wasn't a problem like that (loose bolts). It just seems like the spring is not strong enough to keep the stand from flopping around. Maybe it used to be and has just fatigued? I don't know how common this is. I don't really want to do the rubber band thing unless there is no other choice, because of the pain-in-the-rear factor every time I start and stop.

Jan 10, 2001
If its a worn out spring try one from Lowes or your local hardware. I saw a spring that would fit the kickstand perfect, not to heavy but heavy and long enough to where it would hold it up tight and kick down easy. The hooks were just perfect for it. Or you could go MX style and carry a V stand with you everywhere and just remove it :)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Hang on tight.

When I next get my film developed, which should be soon, I’ll scan the picture of how to remount the kickstand to the frame which dramatically improves life so it doesn’t snag & stays out of the way. It would be brilliant idea if it weren’t so damn obvious, why kawasaki didn’t do it this way in the first place defies logic. :confused:

In the mean time buy a new spring & check that the bolthole isn’t too elongated.

drtbkr357

Mod Ban
Mar 7, 2001
on my bike i put too heavy of a spring on it was fine to push down with my boots on but i was doing work on somthing and i pushed the kickstand up it snapped up wicked fast and broke my finger aggainst the swing arm

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
How much are those shorter more compact ones from Fredette? May be an option if ya got some extra ging. Then again it may still flop around.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by cudmak
How much are those shorter more compact ones from Fredette? May be an option if ya got some extra ging. Then again it may still flop around.

Do you mean Kickstarter or Kickstand? I didn't think Fredette did anything to the kickstand.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by cudmak

cudmak, Do you mean "Kickstarter" or "Kickstand"? I didn't think Fredette did anything to the kickstand.

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
BRush,
The problem with your kickstand is not the spring, but rather the steel parts are just plain worn out. If not kept tight and snug at the pivot point, those sidestands will wear themselves floppy-loose in almost no time.

Have you checked if there is any more adjustment at the pivot point by tightening the bolt? (The bolt is threaded into the stand, and the nut is acutally a jam nut.) Supposing the stand is worn, you have a few options. First, toss the thing in the corner where it will flop no more. Be sure to plug/cover the holes. The next choice is new metal parts, but I'm not sure what that would cost. The other choice is to get out the welder and hand files, and whip it back into shape. It can be a little tedious, but it is effective. After welding, you'll want to repaint it, preferably with some color other than GREEN! :eek:

Good luck with it!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Turns out that the pivot hole in the kickstand plate is elongated from wear, plus the bolt was worn nearly in half. In fact, I snapped it trying to remove it. I can't do much about the elongated hole (not being blessed with a welding setup) but a new grade 8 bolt has improved things a bit. I still think the spring has weakened.

KDX Lover

Jun 25, 2001
Floppy Kickstand

I know your pain....On my new bike i found the perfect solution, and that was taking that piece of scrap aluminum kick stand and throwing it in the recycle bin on the curb. I had that kickstand for one ride and nearly ripped it off of the swingarm in the first hour of riding. I dont know what Kawasaki engineers were thinking when they designed that piece but it definitely wasn't riding. Or you could use it as a door stop or paper weight. I have found leaning my bike on trees or running them in bushes work just as well when i need to take a break or make a pit stop.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Hey do you want this picture etc of how to remount your kickstand to the frame?
Helps stop the silly thing shake around but mainly gets it out of the way.

If so, send us your e-mail so I can post a pic to you.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Just a follow up. I installed a new OEM spring. It was much stiffer than the old one and made a huge difference. Kickstand does not flop much now. I guess these springs really do weaken over time.

Top Bottom