flushing cases?

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
my 86xr80 that im replacing the top end has some little flakes in the bottom end(i looked w/ a light). what can i flush it out w/? im thinking they have stuff for this but will like mineral spirts work?

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
or should i blow it out w/ compressed air? i think filling it completely w/ what ever u suggest then draining a few times will work the best.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Basically using a air compressor might just blow the metal flakings around the crankshaft and make sticking into the crank and rod bearings. Best thing to do is remove the engine and fill the bottom with some kerosene (I've used gas before) and dump it out. Do it about 2-3 times and it will all be gone. Then if you feel you wanna speed up the dryign process then use the air compressor.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
also did u also then fill w/ oil and dump that to get all the extra gas out? or let it dry?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The extra risks using gas, is that it is VERY flammable! :eek:

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Yes the gas will not harm any parts but like I said make sure it is completely drie before re-installing the topend! :)

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
how many times did you add/dump the gas in it before you were satisfied? how long did it take to dry?i have it ontop of a bucket right now upside down to drain. u think i should blow it out w/ a compresser?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…