FLY Helmets?

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I don't have any personal experience with FLY helmets, but if my memory serves me right, they're pretty cheap. If that is so, I'l like to warn you not to go cheap on safety gear. Spend an extra $100 bucks for a higher quality helmet.:)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
www.flyracingproducts.com

They have more than one level of lid, I think. They also have some pros wearing 'em (Tim Ferry, Danny Smith, Branden Jesseman), if that means anything to you.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Great fit, and very light if you get the carbon lite helmet. Around $200 (that may have been my discount price). DOT and Snell. Extremely happy with the helmets. Nicer than the Shoei I had.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Hopefully the helmets are better than the handlebars they make or used to make. I watched my cousin bend two sets on his XR 400 without wrecking. The bars would just bend down from him riding. They made a very weak handlebar.

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
Thanks for the replys.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a helmet has a DOT and SNELL rating does it make a difference what it costs???
I know that in some cases you get what you pay for, but why does one helmet cost $300-400 and the next with the same rating or more cost $150.00-200.00????
In looking more closely at helmets after a hard crash head first into the rocks. I'm finding that some helmets don't have both a DOT and SNELL ratings but just one or the other????
Any and all help and input if greatly apprecieted!!!:confused:

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Pretty debatable subject, or at least it may turn out to be. As to the Snell and DOT certification, the helmets meet the same standards. After that, the additional money spent may comprise additional amenities: Lighter, more ducting for fresh air, removable liner, larger eye ports, paint jobs, and finally, just plain marketing. I recently had an option as an award for my enduro circuit to pick from an HJC, or two shoei helmets. I tried on all three and ended up ordering the HJC becuase it fit better. Mind you, this is a personal preference, as the new helmet will most likely just be a spare since I have absolutely fallen in love with my Arai helmet. I have seen the fly helmets and they appear to be a solid helmet along the same lines as the HJC, KBC, and others. If it has the same ratings on the helmet, look for fit and removable liner. FWIW, my last few helmets are solid white (cue-ball style). Seems as I get older, fashion sense makes less sense. An additional benefit is that I will be easier to spot lying among the leaves and trees on the trail.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Fly rocks!

I just got a new 2002 FLY "light" helmet and it is awsome. Its carbon fiber and kevlar. It is very light. Well vented and it comes with a very very nice liner. They are now having List Designs do their art work. The stuff is nice. The new "light" retails for $200.00. I can get them for $150.00. Dont let the price fool you their helmets are way better than anything in the $200.00 to $250.00 range.

btw - FLY is a division of Western Power Sports headquarterd in Boise Idaho.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…