fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
I'm trying to set up my KX for HS this next season and am trying to order a flywheel wieght. What size has everyone tried? And what do you suggest?

Bike is basicly stock.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I use an 11-oz Steahly on my '03 KX250. Smoothes it out, makes it less prone to stalling. You might want to also think about the suspension...the one time I rode mine in the woods with the stock springs and valving, it nearly killed me.

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
How did the wieght work with the traction in the woods ? If you would do it over again would you get the 11oz, or would you go heavier or lighter?

Could you explain just a bit more about the suspention, How did you feel the stock suspention couldn't be adjusted to fit a woulds style riding?

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
I ran the metal clutch plates in mine, cheeper than the fww. If you go this
way make sure your bike doesnt already have the metal plates.
PS: I have a NEW set of Moose steel clutch plates I'll send ya if you want them, I got them for my KX and found it already had them. I'm in LA also.
there for the 92-01 so see if they will work.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Originally posted by fastbygaff
How did the wieght work with the traction in the woods ? If you would do it over again would you get the 11oz, or would you go heavier or lighter?

Could you explain just a bit more about the suspention, How did you feel the stock suspention couldn't be adjusted to fit a woulds style riding?

The flywheel weight improves rideability in the woods, more tractable in the tight stuff, versus having to keep the engine revved. Less clutch work and an easier ride. The 11 oz works fine for me...I don't think I'd go heavier or lighter, but that's me, everyone has their own preferences. The stock suspension is going to be choppy in the woods, no matter how much you play with the clickers. An MX guy can probably put up with it for half an hour, but in a 2-hour hare scramble it gets real old real fast. Maybe in the desert at higher speeds, stock MX suspension would work O.K. But not where I ride. The valving is a big part of it, along with spring rates. Ride a bike that's set up for the woods, then ride a stock MX'er. Big difference.

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
Thanks a bunch for the replies.

I just ordered the 11oz, the rest I'll let come to me from there.

Sorry I asked so many questions. I put bikes aside for the last three years and went into quads and GNCC at the same time. Well long story shart, bikes arn't quads and vise versa.

Any way thanks. I felt if I could have a couple of yall come up and post your opinions I thought I could get a jump on things.Well it seems Yall have a good bit of info for me thanks!!

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I am a former quad woods racer too. I ran the Arkansas series and a few GNCCs. I switched over last Feb, and haven't looked back. I am going to race the SERA harescramble circuit this year and a few Enduros. Maybe I'll see ya around.

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I used a 13oz on my 02 KX250 for two seasons of cross country. I was also running an SST pipe and VForce valves on the Low setting. What I discovered was that all of these things I was doing to make it more tractable and linear just really changed the point at which it jumped on the pipe. I was much happier when I removed the weight and put in steel clutch plates. Another thing I noticed was that when I would go down a rough hill with a hard turn at the bottom, the bike would want to stall in the turn so I had to turn the idle up to keep that from happening. Removing the weight stopped that as well. I'm thinking that 13oz was a little too heavy for my riding style or something. I stll have the 13oz if anyone wants to buy it.

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
Mark IT,
I'd be interested in purchasing those clutch plates if you still have them.
klx677@yahoo.com

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
I haven't recieved the wieght yet, but the hallidays hasn't given me any time to ride either.

Every ones idea's are of graet help. I would like to pass on the steel clutch plates for now any way. I was hoping the wieght would let me ride the woods and then remove it for the MX track. To be honest, I think my age has taken most of the MX riding from me. But the woods racing has always been my passion.

I'm fairly good with suspentions, so realy I need to start training and work that out so I can make the two hour run.

I see most of you are not to far from me. I also will start the SERA season this year. Not until the Feb 1st race but I'll try to make most of the rest.

Looking forward to getting back to the woods racing and also looking forward to meeting up with yall on the trails.

Anyone making a run to forest hills in mid to late January, give me a shout, would love to have a couple good runs befor my first woods race on a bike in quite a few years.

Top Bottom