Flywheel weight affect handling ?

KDX-Jack

Oct 21, 2001
I recently added a Stealthy flywheel weight to my 94 KDX. Although I liked the smoother power delivery the bike seems to handle way different. The suspension seems harsher, it seemed to bottom out a lot more. It also felt different in the turns, fast berms and single track both.

Any thoughts ?

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
tell me...how would something that affects power affect hadnling? Im guessing your problem is...your getting the power to the ground instead of alot of wheel spin. So it hooks up better. Thus affecting the way your bike 'handels'.

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
OK, the only way the flywheel could effect the way the bike handles, is if you are driving it differently. Maybe it has smoother power and your are hooking up better. Or maybe you are going a little faster. Sounds like it is time to upgrade your suspension.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
A heavier flywheel can effect handling. A heavy mass that is spinning has a harder time changing direction than a lighter mass. Its a gyroscopic effect, and your crank assembly and flywheel are the gyroscope.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Go to the Advanced Engineering section of DRN and read page 3 of a thread entitled Rich Rohrich. Flywheel weight and handling is very real although the differences you mention sound extreme for anyone less than a pro level rider (IMO). :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…