Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Anyone use a flywheel weight on a kx85 or other 85cc bike?
Can the little bikes take a flywheel weight ok? +'s & -'s to using one?

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Fly weight flywheel

Midhigh, Steahly makes weights for your KX85 in 8, 10, and 12oz. They are $100 and will help prevent stalling and excessive clutch work in the woods, or on slower, tight tracks. If the rider is a hard-charger then a light weight would work well, and if the rider likes to lug the bike or likes technical slower rides, then go with the 10oz or 12oz. As far as durability, I don't know of any concerns using these lighter weights; as long as they are properly installed and spaced with extra gaskets or a supplied spacer.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
motodr9,

Thanks! My son is ready to give the woods a try. He is a lugger when it come to riding. I wasn't real sure how the weight would affect the motor wear & durability. It's a great bike and I keep it real nice. I just don't want to put a weight on and find out that it wears the bottom end faster or something like that.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Midhigh, as long as the crank, bearings, etc are within spec it should not pose a problem. Kawasaki also sells flywheels that are heavier than stock, but the cost is brutal. If your son wants the "snap" back: take the weight off and use a stock gasket. Once the lower end starts to wear out of spec, you must get in there anyway and fix it. As far as accelerating the wear, it might be very modest. Maybe others will chime in on this issue. Many of us use flywheel weights on all sizes of bikes with no ill effects (at least that I know of). Would minis be affected more so than full sized bikes? I think it is all in relation to scale. If you use a 10% weight increase (just an example) in any bike (within spec) it should be fine. Heavier weights added to heavier flywheels, and vice-versa. I think others should add to this, it is an interesting topic for all sizes of bikes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom