flywheel weight VS. big bore VS. cams

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I'd like to make my KX250F a bit more trail friendly, I'd like to hear anybodys experience with a flywheel weight on their 250f, what size they used and if it helped with slick rocky hills, etc. right now I really have to hammer on the throttle to get it up loose hills, and occasionally stall when I try to roll over a boulder etc. I've tossed the thought of 290 kit around, I don't mind losing some up top for a little more grunt, and not going to weight of a 450. Cams is an option I supose, at least from the other threads I've read, I just don't know which ones to go with................Fresh thoughts would be great, my searches did'nt really answer my question.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Take a look at the Rekluse auto-clutch, it's a better solution than the things you listed.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
thanks for the response Rich

I've read about the rekluse, some threads about it here and an article in the oct. "dirtbike" mag. It was installed on a woods set up RM250. Many people rave about the auto clutch. And while it sounds cool and would rectify a portion of my concerns I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. Really I would like to move the power closer to the mid/bottom along with some trackability. I spose I was somewhat unclear with what I was looking for in my original thread.

I'm not looking for an XR, rather a medium, a 250F thats a little less like a 125 2stroke. Mabey I'm dreaming, But I think a soulution is out there.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
phranticness said:
Mabey I'm dreaming, But I think a soulution is out there.

Flywheel weights and cams won't get you what you're looking for and the main bearing/crank design on the RMZ250 is took weak to reliably handle the extra weight of a 290 piston.

Like I said, take a close look at the Rekluse or buy a Yamaha with a 262 kit on it.

Last edited:

ryan callies

Oct 17, 2002
Rekluse auto clutch is what it sounds like you need. Cams and a big bore will just make more power , you still are prone to stall it. I sell and install them. The one I have in my ktm works awsome !!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The Rekluse really meets your criteria. Helps to minimize stalls and you really are never in the wrong gear. Probably the second best mod for a woods bike, suspension being the first.
EDIT:
you really are never in the wrong gear
a. provided that you are not wanting to go faster than the gear was designed for.
b. provided that you change gears normally as if you had a standard clutch and slipped it manually as necessary to get higher rpms.
c. provided that you understand the excessive slipping of the Rekluse does damage just the same as excessive slipping of a standard clutch pack will do damage.
d. provided that you do not park on a slope and expect the Rekluse to hold back the bike while in gear, it won't.
The statement is NOT totally false or totallly true, from my personal experience it is "like" never being in the wrong gear.

Last edited:

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
Ok. I am willing to give one a shot. I bid on one at an unnamed auction site but someone else wanted to spend more than me. (I'm cheap). So I'll wait till I can find one for the right price.

BUT: Everyone has emphasized a portion of my thread that I'm not emphisizing.... Stalling.... My goal was to shift the powerband lower, Yes stalling happons, but I can live with it, hell I stall my 2 smoker. See I can lug my 250 2stroke and clutch it on wicked hills. But my 250F does'nt have much bottem and the transition from bottem to the mid/top of the powerband is abrupt, causing wheel spin and loss of traction, next goes the momentum, and lastly the stalling. Now I'm willing to give the rekluse a shot, but I'd still like to move the power band a bit to gain on the bottem.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
MrLuckey said:
That's a totally false statement!
Excuse me for an exageration. But I guess riding a 450 in 4th gear at any speed with a Rekluse dosen't count. Oh, well.
So I agree to disagree as I do with other opinions.

Last edited:

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
So heres and update. I went with a athena 290 Kit and it's exactly what I was looking for. It put the power right where I wanted it. I can lug the bike and torque is available nearly off idle. It lifts the front wheel without any clutch and at a much lower RPM. Ya, I lost a little of top end, Ya, it revs a bit slower, but I really don't care about those losses. It's by far the best mod I've done to the bike.

I appreciate the imput I got on this thread, but the athena kit was the answer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom