js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
How much of a differance does 2 oz. make?

I am trying to find an upgrade from a ttr125 and am considering the KX100, so I did some research and noticed everybody putting flywheel weights on the bike (10oz in particular)....

so, is 2 oz each way make that much of a differance (8oz or 12oz)

one more question, are the weights that much of a hassle to take on and off, because some weekends I ride in TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT woods and other weekends I ride pretty open spaces (construction sights) ;) and since my dad is the one doing the work all of his machines are just sitting there :p

elf

Jun 7, 2003
On a small bike like the 100 you can feel the difference in weight. On a bigger bike like a 250 you probably wouldn't notice a 2 oz. difference. Probably best to find a weight that works well for all your riding and leave it on.

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
There was somebody on this board that had put a 12 oz weight on his girlfriend's bike but didn't like it so he tried a 10 oz and thought that was just right. I still haven't put one on my bike but from everything I've read, I will get a 10oz weight when I finally do, unless Steahly convinces me otherwise. :)

As for putting them on and taking them off, I wish I could help you there but I don't know. Hopefully, someone will chime in on that.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
They're super easy to install/remove if you have the right tools (mainly the engine stop that screws in your spark plug hole, avail. from Steahly). I've had no desire to change mine depending on the terrain, though...11 oz. works well for all terrain I've experienced so far.

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
I bought a new 2005 kx100 for my nephew. The power band hit was so bad that, when in wet and slippery soil, the rear wheel would slip so bad you couldn't control the bike. I put a 10 ounce weight on and love it. IMO, they ought to come with one on from the factory! You can still feel the hit but it comes on much smoother. Don't worry, it will still pick the front wheel of the ground when shifting into 3rd with no trouble and I weigh 165! They are quite easy to put on but I see no need to take it off. The kx100 is so light to begin with, it has trouble keeping good traction in the first place. I also put a 53 tooth on the rear to gear it down to keep it on the pipe more and seems to work nice also.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
My son had a KX80 for woods riding. We're in Missouri which can be very rocky and tight at times. Had a buddy (machinist) who made a 7oz. It was removable (2 lock-tited) screws). Was good in tight stuff, but a little reluctant to get on the pipe when the trail opened up. I'm guessing you should go with the big one and have it shaved down if you find it too much.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
My son had a KX80 for woods riding. We're in Missouri which can be very rocky and tight at times. Had a buddy (machinist) who made a 7oz. It was removable (2 lock-tited) screws). Was good in tight stuff, but a little reluctant to get on the pipe when the trail opened up. I'm guessing you should go with the big one and have it shaved down if you find it too much.

I dont believe 2oz will make any difference. I believe that is too light to change much.

Even though these bikes have little to no low end, they hit hard in the midrange. HP is similar to what 125's had years ago.

I woudl add at least 6ox and work up or down from there.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom