sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i see that a lot of people use flywheel wieghts on 250's.

would a 125 benifit from one to tame it down a little?
my 96 yz is a bit punchy right now iwould like to tone it down a little the majority of my riding is trials right now with a lot of whoops and some sugar sand and with the kick it has right now it can get a little hairy in some spots

only mods to bike are fresh top end and fmf fatty pipe

dirt ninja

Feb 20, 2006
Heres what it'll do for you:Give you More traction,calm the hit due to increased weight on the flywheel and keep your bike moving through the sugar sand easier because of the extra enertia the weight provides to the flywheel. Sounds like a win win situation for ya. :cool: just get the right weight and you will be golden. :)

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
why would you go back to stock?
dirt ninja said:
:bang: :|
did you not read the whole post? :nener:

the hit on the power band right now is a little extreme
i have had the bike jump out from under me twice from it
1 time resulting in bike ending up submerged in puddle with me beside it (was a funny site though but breaking down and rebuilding engine wasnt :laugh: )

dirt ninja

Feb 20, 2006
I hear ya

Yeah i read the entire post
1.) yeah the weight will slow the rev down a bit but will also make your bike hook better and make you bust your butt again.
2.) Stock pipes are designed very well for performance. The are great woods pipe giving you great bottom and midrange performance. Ive had the gnarly and sst pipes by fmf and can tell you there isnt a whole lot of performance gains with an aftermarket pipe. BTW I have a 1999 yz80 if your intrested. :)

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
its not that i cant ride the 125 but when chugging along trails etc sometimes the hit of power band can get a little nerve rackingand i am looking to smooth it out a little

80 is to small but let me see if g/f is interested

mifun3

Dec 18, 2005
The fatty pipe is designed to increase torque and smoothes the powerband = more power at lower rpm's Unless i'm wrong the stock pipe will produce it's power at higher rpm's harder hit.

dirt ninja

Feb 20, 2006
I happen to ride a 02 kx250 with a stock pipe and it rips down low to mid but smoothes out up top. No hard hit up in the upper rpms with my pipe.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
my buddy 04 yz125 was like that. his bike was all stock
good bottom and mid ,nice hit up top not to extreme like mine
but hey maybee after riding my old rm its just me not used to the new bike

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Hey what size of fly wheel weight do you recommend for an rm 250. I want to calm it down also. The bike has a fmf fatty and power core II silcencer.

Going with a stock pipe is not an option. I don't have it anymore.

Any suggestions.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I ran the 12oz. weight on both my '99 and '02 cr250s. It increased traction, and smoothed the hit a bit on the '99. On the '02, it just increased traction. Both bikes were alot easier to ride on tight trails with the weight. I noticed no down side while riding track with the 12oz. Sure, it revved a bit slower, but my speed was up because of less wheelspin and a more controllable powerband.

On another note. For most situations the Fatty is a great all-around pipe. Generally, I have found the powerband is a bit smoother than with the stock pipe.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom