marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
i was just wondering if anyone has the ignition on their bikes and if it is worth the money. I have a 2000 yz 125 and have the fmf fatty shorty combo and just recently put on v force delta reeds. I was thinking about the ignition next. thxxx for replies

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I think they are worthless. I have one of the Vortex ones on my KX and I owuld have never gotten it if the bike did not come with it. On a 125 all the switch does is make it sign off earlier. No "torque" or whatever they say. I just moved mine to the crossbar to save space. It is bull. It also pops at high rpm. I think the stock ignition will work better.

anton

Jul 23, 2001
AOF Ignitions

FMF have acknowledged that they are to stop making these ignitions from 2002. Why? Probably not selling - look at site, they are currently giving it away.
Regards
Anton

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I hear your comments but feel i need to chime in with some info-the ignitions do work but like all mods it depends on how well mapped the std ignition is and also how well mapped the replacement is.If you have a std bike that comes with a bad map the FMF ignition may well give a increase in power.If the same bike was modded the ignition will have to be mapped to suit-this is where the results can vary-you need to map it to your bike by someone that knows what they are doing.On a modern YZ the engine performs very well std so i would be surprised if you get much from a ignition on a std bike.Maybe a CR/KX/RM would see an improvement.Arron your bike popping at high revs is actually what the programmer was trying to achieve on the 2000 KTM we had it fitted to-he said it should pop about 4 times per lap-he expained why but it lost me a bit to be honest-something about plug heats.I have a CR ignition which i will test on a dyno on a 02 bike -it has a map from Steven Swords race bike and im hoping the mods i will do will be very similar to his.
FMF reducing the price i think is recognition that they were too much money for the gains involved. For me the ignition is the last step in tuning as its the most expensive(or was) for the possible gains.

Top Bottom