Metalgeez

Mod Ban
Oct 29, 2003
On my 1997 YZ 250 I have a FMF FATTY, that I just noticed rubs on the bottom of the gas tank and is starting to melt it. I love the performance I receive from the pipe, but I have not been able to figure out a different way of mounting it to avoid a possible disaster. Ive tried contacting FMF but they have been of no help ,failing to return any of my messages. Has anybody else ran into this problem with the Fatty. Instead of going back to stock, I think Ill try Pro Circuit if I cant figure out a way to make the FATTY work.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I just returned an FMF Fatty that I bought for my YZ 250 (also a 1997). The fit was awful! No tank melting, but by the time it was all said and done, the silencer was at such an angle, it hit the tire!

I took mine back to Rocky Mountain ATV for a full refund. Those people rock. I think FMF has some real issues with this pipe.

I have an FMF Gnarly pe that fits ok, nothing special. The only pipe that fits properly is the Pro Circuit pipe. The Pro Circuit pipe adds some top end, but makes the low end a bit mild.

I say you contact FMF and give them H*LL. They have earned it.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
:p :p :p

The FMF Turbine Core silencer that I have (for my dad's quad) doesn't even come CLOSE to being able to put both mounting bolts in, so I'm only running one.

Ronson

~SPONSOR~
Nov 4, 2003
I'll give the pipe a few hits with a hammer. The low end you get from the FATTY is great so I hate to give it up. FMF was non existant in there help. I even had 1 guy there tell me my gas tank was probably going bad, thats why it was starting to melt! WHAT?
Thanks for the help.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
I would try a different brand. I have seen a lot of fit problems with FMF pipes. My uncle bought one for his KDX and sent it fit awful, he sent it back and the next one fit better. My Dad bought one for his KDX and it fit like a glove, but they ordered the same pipe and they have different bends.
I had one on a RMX and it was close to the tank also, so I raised the tank with a pad and put some heat tape on the bottom. Then after a crash it pushed it was closer to the tank and started melting it. I know at least 4 guys that bought Pro Curcuit pipes and none of them had any problems.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
if you do hit it with a hammer, dont hit it hard, i did that and not only dent it, but made a crack in it.. the dent will probably make it run better down low.

Ronson

~SPONSOR~
Nov 4, 2003
I gave it a few hits and now I have about 3/4" clearance. I rode today and it worked great. The FMF Fatty works great on this bike. Too bad they can't make it too fit right.

Attachments

• img_1157 (small).jpg
    img_1157 (small).jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 120

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
Originally posted by 04-yz-250
That's the reason I went with Pro-Circuit as well.(Performance and QUALITY). Pipe and silencer fit like a glove.

I will second that opinion, also the plating that pro circuit uses seems to hold up alot better. i have had numerous fmf pipes on all of my 200's. every single one ended up rusting in some place, the pro circuit i have now has lasted at least twice as long as the fmf's.

Top Bottom