FMF Gnarly woods, and Desert pipe?????

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
Anyone know if there is any or much diffrence between these two pipes, they have different part numbers, I have the woods pipe, and zero topend, just curious if the desert pipe is designed more for mid and topend? Also if anyone knows were to find a pro circuit fatty for the 2000 220, thinking of trying both setups and see which works best for me. Thanks.

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
I appreciate the link, been on there many times, but I was actually shootin for someone who has had personal experience with both pipes having used both and maybe had some experience with the Pro Circuit as well, thanks.

tommrth

Apr 22, 2008
fair enough then search is your friend has been covered more than once and yeah desert pipe is suposed to be for top end and woods low end has been suggested by Fredette to use desert pipe on 220 as woods pipe kills top end
http://www.frpoffroad.com/kdxposed/engineTips.aspx

and yes i realise you have probably read this

would be interesed to hear the differences of each pipe if you try all three

Mar 18, 2004
I have tested both the woods and desert pipe on the 220. The woods pipe turns the bike into a stump puller, but all the power is on the bottom - it has absolutely zero over rev. Heck, almost no rev period past mid RPM range. The desert pipe is a much better balance, providing improved power all across the range. Using the desert pipe, you can adjust gearing to tweak power delivery. Also, I strongly recommend the RB carb mod and head work with the desert pipe - outstanding performance.

Byte

Jul 11, 2008
Rec. desert pipe brand?

What is the "RB carb mod"?

What specific head work is refered to?

What change is gearing is needed to tweak the power delivery?

Other mods?

Cam

kaptiankent

May 8, 2008
He is talking about the FMF Gnarly desert pipe.

Here is the link to the RB site:http://www.rb-designs.com/

Under carb mods and head mods you will find the KDX.
I think he explains what the mods will do on his site.

I don't know about gearing, I haven't done any yet.

I have a 2005 KDX 220
here is a list of mods/upgrades I have done.

-FMF desert pipe
-FMF Q silencer
-Boysen Rad valve
-Wiseco piston

I just removed the airbox lid snorkel, but I here that its better to remove the entire lid.

I also have a E-Line carbon pipe guard on it's way.

I find that these changes really improve the power overall.
I don't notice any loss on the bottom end. As long as the pilot circuit is set right it works great.
I don't really do much riding above the mid rpm range but on any straight trail it goes quick!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom