AJean

Nov 12, 2004
Hey guys,
I am planning to buy a new pipe for my kdx220 2003, and I was looking at the fmf gnarly rev pipe beause with all that I read it is what seems to be(by the way, does it decrease the bottom end torque a little bit, does it leave intact, or does it improve it a little bit? ). So here is the point: You have choice between the wood or desert pipe...is the wood pipe the torque pipe and the desert the rev pipe? because on the forum the only thing I can read about is torque\rev but on the site they only talk about woods\desert. By the way is there any modification I should do while I'm buying and installing the pipe to be able to appreciate it even more, except the jetting of course. And will it fit with the stock silencer?
Thanks for all of your comments,
Ajean

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I have the Rev. You will notice an increase across the board. You MAY loose a tad of bottom, but nothing to be concerned about. But, if you ride nasty crap all day with very little need for top end, THAN a Torque might be for you. YES, the FMF will fit the STOCKER. The DF3 in conjunction with RB Carb & Head Mod will give you a much different machine. The Head will give a more consistant & higher compression than stock and RBD will modify (cut) the Slide from a #7 to a #5, bore from a 33mm to a 36mm, install a divider plate on the manifold side of the carb, to allow outstanding bottom end while allowing a hellavalot more mid & top end response. He also modify's the pilot circut to allow the airscrew to be used a fine tuning circut instead of JUST AN AIR SCREW. He also installs NEW JETS and a CEK NEEDLE.
Also, you should have your susoension (Front & Back) Modded or switch out for a KX Frontend

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I have both and since I bought the Desert/Rev, I've never even considered putting the Woods/Torque back on. I don't ride tight, twisty singletrack trails but 90% of mine are open 2-track jeep trails where I can typically be 1/2 throttle or above. I also do some play-biking where I ride around and pull wheelies from this dirt clump to that dirt clump, try to climb banks, ride the tightest figure 8's I can....stuff like that, and I get along just fine with the Desert. Best way I can describe it is that the Desert pipe makes the KDX feel like a (heavy!) 125 with bottom end and more flywheel, whereas the Woods pipe feels like a well-tuned XR250.

It's easy to get good bottom end back, too. I run 2-stage Boyesen Pro reeds and they made a significant difference from stock in the low end and transition to mid. Get the jetting right and it's certainly enough bottom end for me.

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
Recently put a woods fmf on my 04 200. I havn't re-jetted yet, it seems to be a little rich down low, bottom end appears slightly better but I was surprised at the much bigger hit I now have in mid-range. My pipe fit fine, but others have not had luck with FMF.

ExeterXCSP

Oct 29, 2005
I got my 220 used and it had a woods pipe on it so I don't know what it was like with a stock pipe. My buddy has the same bike with the rev pipe and his smokes mine on the top end. He did have his carb bored too, so this may not be a perfect comparison. Fredette doesn't recommend the woods pipe for the 220 because he says it performs much like the stocker. He also says the rev pipe only looses a tiny bit on the bottom end. I've ridden in some pretty nasty, steep, rocky, and also muddy places and my buddies bike is still right there with mine. I'm talking about 1st gear crawling up some exhausting steep hills. Keep in mind we both weigh over 200# too, so I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go with the rev pipe. He also runs the stock sprocket sizes. I really like mine but I wish it had the rev pipe.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
I have both for my 200. The woods has much more on the bottom than the desert, but the desert still has more bottom than stock. I jetted for the desert and if I am going hill climbing I can change to the woods in about 30 min. and the jetting is close enough that I don't even bother to change it.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
ExeterXCSP said:
Fredette doesn't recommend the woods pipe for the 220 because he says it performs much like the stocker. He also says the rev pipe only looses a tiny bit on the bottom end. If you go with the rev pipe. He also runs the stock sprocket sizes. I really like mine but I wish it had the rev pipe.
I have not read where he compares the Woods to a Stock Pipe.

From Jeff's Site-The first modification I would recommend is to replace the stock exhaust pipe and silencer with an FMF Pipe and Silencer. There are two pipes available. I recommend the Gnarly "REV" PIPE for the more experienced rider and all other riders riding in fast terrain with good traction. This pipe will improve performance throughout the power band with the most noticeable hit in the mid-range and up. I recommend the GNARLY "TORQUE" PIPE for the less experienced rider and more technical terrain because it also improves performance throughout the power band but with a more manageable power delivery. The torque pipe is not recommended for the 220’s. There are also two silencers available. While both silencers will perform comparably, the POWERCORE II model is designed for closed courses while the TURBINECORE II "spark arrestor" model is required at all government regulated riding areas No jetting changes are required with this modification. These simple and fairly inexpensive modifications will noticeably improve the performance of your KDX throughout the power band.

Also, you could try a 12t CS or go to a 48-50 Rear Sprocket. I run a 12t on mie and like it.

ExeterXCSP

Oct 29, 2005
I e-mailed Jeff Fredette and asked him why he didn't recommend the Woods pipe on the 220 and he told me it was because on the 220 it performed like the stocker. He said the Desert pipe would be the best bet for all around performance.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Because of port differences between the 200 and the 220 the pipes behave differently between the two.

It is my understanding that the rev pipe actually acts more as an all around pipe on the 220, better low, mid and topend (where-as the 200 gets mostly mid and top). The woods pipe gives more low, but then falls off quicker on a 220 than the 200.

I have the rev pipe on my 220, but I did a billion other mods at the same time so I can't comment on how it improved performance.

Top Bottom