FMF gnarly woods pipe vs standard pipe question

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hi Guys,
I currently have a kdx200h6 with a standard pipe and silencer on it. I am thinking about putting a FMF Gnarly woods pipe on it and am wondering is there any part of the standard pipe power that would be better than the FMF, or is the FMF Gnarly Woods pipe going to be better than the standard one everywhere?

Cheers

r1150rider

Jul 21, 2009
fmf pipe

I have a gnarly on my 96 kdx and for low speed technichal riding, it is the best 2 stroke pipe I have ever experienced. I do lose a bit of the top end hit on it, but that may also be a function of my current set up. I live at 6000 feet and ride at 8000 feet. I have it set up for tractor like power. If you are doing this kind of riding, there is no better pipe.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I put a gnarly pipe and turbine core muffler on the kid's bike and was pretty disappointed.....not worth the 300+ dead presidents. The best gains came from opening up the airbox and jetting properly. Granted, the system weighs about forty pounds less......

Last edited:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
The gnarly pipe made a difference but not as big of an improvement as opening the airbox and rejetting just with the stock pipe. Adding the FMF turbine core made no difference whatsoever over the stock muffler. It saves a couple pounds and looks cool…..that’s it.

If you opened the airbox, added the gnarly pipe, and rejetted all at the same time, that would make for a big improvement.

Unless you are doing grass drags, you might be better off doing the free mods, losing a few pounds, and working on your riding skills. Heck, spend the $350.00 on suspension mods.......

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
BadgerMan said:
you might be better off doing the free mods, losing a few pounds,
You live in Michigan USA, I live on the other side of the world. How the heck do you know I need to loose a few pounds? However, I will take it under advisement along with the other suggestions. I can't believe the word has got out.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'd take that with a grain of salt. I did a lot of mods to my bike, and IMO the pipe made the biggest difference in power. Of course, you HAVE to re-jet after adding the pipe in order to see the most benefit from it. If the bike is jetted poorly to begin with, of course the power gains the pipe has to offer will be negated.

However, I will agree (and quite strongly), that the $350 would be better spent on suspension upgrades first. The stock suspension on the KDX is lackluster at best. No use adding extra power if you can't even get the most out of what it has stock due to the crappy suspension.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. I have now bought the pipe (fmf gnarly woods) but have not fitted it. The jetting recommendation came with the pipe and the only thing that seems to be different from stock is the needle, fmf recommend an R1137L. I am a complete novice when it comes to jetting so it is something I will have to learn about, I can do everything else except true a crank which I leave to the experts.
In regard to suspension I plan on putting stiffer fork springs in and maybe doing the shim stack mod too. I can't ride until February 2010 because of injury so I am waiting to see how much I weigh then regarding spring stiffness. I am 6' and currently 220lb and yes I am on a diet thanks BadgerMan :-)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Joburble said:
You live in Michigan USA, I live on the other side of the world. How the heck do you know I need to loose a few pounds? However, I will take it under advisement along with the other suggestions. I can't believe the word has got out.

Sorry, I was not implying that you need to lose a few pounds....I was just stating that it is generally much cheaper to take weight off yourself rather than the bike. :)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
julien_d said:
I'd take that with a grain of salt. I did a lot of mods to my bike, and IMO the pipe made the biggest difference in power. Of course, you HAVE to re-jet after adding the pipe in order to see the most benefit from it. If the bike is jetted poorly to begin with, of course the power gains the pipe has to offer will be negated.

You can take it any way you want but......your profile says you own an '89 KDX. That is a different animal. I owned one from that era too.....raced a 1990 kdx for a couple years. That generation KDX benefited more from the addition of an aftermarket pipe. Not as much with the 1995 KDX and newer. The pipe on the newer bikes is really not that bad. It's just heavy.

BTW, did you ride your bike with the airbox lid removed and jetting changed appropriately and then add the pipe? Most people do not. Most just blindly spend the money at the same time they do the other mods and then claim that the FMF (or whatever) pipe really "woke the bike up".

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
04 200: Gnarly and ISDT silencer (older style turbocore)...made a "ok" difference across the board with stock jetting...yes, modified airbox lid (bigger hole), stock jetting.

I put in JD kit and BANG! The bike "snarled" from the first kick! New needle and main jet, I forget what size, but all from the kit. I just posted this answer to another question, but the JD kit PLUS the gnarly system gave me the power and clean running I was looking for.

Kit may be pricey, but you forget about that when you're running clean in the tight stuff, and ripping up top!

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Cool, thanks for that. I have decided I will be running my bike with the standard pipe for a while and then change it later. I will probably stay with the original spark arrestor, although I have a spare one that I might cut apart to see what's inside and then make a completely identical one out of aluminum. Will see how it goes.

Top Bottom