svtman79

Oct 29, 2009
I want to buy a new pipe. I have seen mixed reviews for the FMF Gnarly pipes. I ride in the woods, and if I am not in the woods I rarely get out of 4th gear. Is the woods pipe better or the desert for this type of riding. I saw somewhere not to put the torque pipe on a 220. I think this is the same as woods pipe.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
For the 220 the FMF Rev or Desert pipe is recommended because the 220 lacks top end as it is. The REV pipe should give you a power increase from bottom to top.

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
Woods or Desert Pipe with KDX220?

I have a KDX220 and I have both pipes. It sounds to me like the Gnarly fits your riding style. Yes, the Desert/Rev pipe produces more mid/higher RPM power, but it also takes more rider to handle the power at RPM. Something to consider in a tight woods. The Gnarly pipe will be very similar to the stock pipe; plus a little lighter & louder. I am totally happy with the Gnarly pipe on tight single track trails; very usable power. I even use a torque ring to bring the power on sooner. You might consider a Pro Circuit Platium II? I read on this site it's a good mix between the Gnarly/Woods and the Desert/Rev.
Happy Trails................dave

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Careful, a torque pipe on a 220 isn't what you expect...

If you like the torque pipe on a 200, you would want the rev pipe on the 220, where it acts like a torque pipe.

Somebody oughta summarize all this in a single thread. ;)

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
Careful, a torque pipe on a 220 isn't what you expect...

I agree, that's why Fredette Racing discourages putting a Gnarly pipe on the KDX220, because it's not THAT much different than the stock pipe. But it does create more low end torque than a stock pipe. The stock pipe is the same for both bikes but due to port timing the KDX200 gets better results with a Gnarly(low end torque) Comparing stock port timing the KDX200 has more torque as the rpm increases and the KDX220 has more torque off the bottom. A Rev/Desert pipe doesn't work that well on a stock KDX220, especially if your riding tight single track. Now, if you mill the head, put a RB Designs divider carb, with V-Force III reeds you get power from bottom to top. But it's hard to tame the HIT when the KIPS opens. If you are not a skilled rider that HIT can get you in a lot of trouble on tight single track. I own both bikes and both pipes. It comes down to type of riding and skill.......
dave

mechanos

Jun 20, 2009
Any reason the Pro Circuit pipe isn't as popular as the FMF's? I put one on my KDX220 and it made a significant improvement on my mid to top end, with the addition of the Boysen 607 reeds, the bottom end was improved as well. I'd have to say I couldn't be happier with those two mods. After installing, I took it for a short rode the neighborhood, and couldn't stop smiling! Totally transformed the bike.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I think the FMF pipes are just easier to find and cheaper to get. I know I was stalking pipes on ebay for a few months, and watched good deals go by for maybe 25 FMF Gnarlies, but maybe 2 pro circuits.

I got a Gnarly woods pipe, it's fine. The pro circuit platinum on a buddies KDX-220 that I rebuilt looks like a better pipe, with a better fit, and that bike runs better then my 200 (which has a 220 kit). But that 220 is also jetted right (I am still tuning mine) and has a Boyesen Rad valve (I have 607's).

So I think both pipes will work fine. Probably FMF gets talked about because there are lots of people like me that can't pass up a $75 used but functional FMF Gnarly expansion chamber.

svtman79

Oct 29, 2009
KDX220 Pipe

What I really want is a lot of pop in 2nd and 3rd gear. I rarely get out of 3rd or 4th. The place I ride is tight trails and a lot of mud. That is why I was concerned about the rev pipe. I don't need a really strong hit while I am in the mud. I ordered a 12t sprocket to help with it and reeds will be next. I just want the pipe to tie it all together. My goal is to be able to make the front end really light to get through the mud in 3rd gear.

svtman79

Oct 29, 2009
Gnarly pipe

I put a 12 tooth Renthal front sprocket on my bike. This helps the bottom end a lot. Now I am ready to order my pipe and reeds. I am getting the 607's, but it is a toss up on the Pro Circuit or the Desert pipe. Any advice or experience with the two would be great. I am leaning towards the Pro Circuit, but the Desert seems to be the pipe of choice. Also do you guys run silencers or spark arrestors on your bikes?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Pro Cicruit (like FMF) makes both woods (torque) and desert (rev) pipes.

I got a used FMF woods pipe for my 200 with the 220 big bore kit. It works fine, bike has a nice pull, but it doesn't fit very well. It is taking me a while to get the jetting worked out.

My buddy got a Pro Circuit pipe with the 220 he bought (and that I helped restore). Somebody who tuned that thing really knew what they were doing, and spent a lot of money on it. Boyesen rad block, pro circuit exhaust, re-sleeved cylinder, pro circuit expansion chamber, pro-circuit silencer, and the jets seem to be dialed in really well. His pipe is the desert (rev) pro-circuit, but on the 220, a "rev/desert" pipe becomes a "torque/woods" pipe (the carbs and porting are different on the 220 versus the 200).

I don't know if it's because his was just dialed in right, but his is what I am trying to make mine run like, and I'm not there yet (but as of an extensive tuning and riding session yesterday, I am getting pretty close).

So either pipe will work, and I think the pro-circuit is probably a better pipe.

Right now I am running the stock silencer. The 220 has the pro-circuit aftermarket silencer (which I assume is also a spark arrestor, but I havent stuck a piece of welding rod down there to tell for sure).

Top Bottom