fmf gold series burly pipe(Thanks for site!)

garyford6

Jul 19, 2002
Hey guys, just bought a 2000 model kdx 200 and this is my first post. Glad to read all the info on this board, great stuff! Think I got a awesome deal on my bike, paid 1800 and it has alot of extra equipment on it and runs awesome. Has the acerbis bush guards, fmf gold series burly pipe (kb 35), turbine ll silencer, one industries gripper seat, o'neal pro lock bars, skid plate with 909 grips. I'm new to this stuff but have already learned alot from the forum, but my question is what exactly is the pipe I have. I have heard about the rev pipe and the gnarly woods pipe, but haven't heard anything about the gold series burly pipe. I'm sure there has to be some mods to the engine, cause this bike rips. I used to ride a older model yz125 and this thing could run right with it. Guess you can tell I'm pumped about the bike. Thanks for the site! Gary

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Close.

Not to nit-pick BUT (he said nit-pickingly), It's KG30/35...not kb

Yes, 30 is the rev, 35 is the torque.

...on the 200, anyway. Some refer to the KG30 as a 'torque' pipe for the 220, but it's not.

You should find the model number stamped on one of the mounting tabs of your pipe.

All the other words: burly, woods, desert, gold and such confuse the issue.

FmF makes two pipes for late model kdxs, 30/35 rev/torque.

garyford6

Jul 19, 2002
thanks everyone for clearing it up. I was wondering when I saw on the pipe that it did say kb 35 and I knew everyone was saying kg 30/35. Yes, I guess all the names are confusing but I see now about the basic two. Thanks for the responses. Gary

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
sheesh...I think tantrum follows me around just LOVING to call me up.

Unfortunately...he has his hands full very quickly. ;)

OK..I admit the last time I checked FmFs model numbers was when I was researching my first kdx pipe..gee, 3 years ago now.

The whole burly/gnarly nomenclature was supposedly infused with trademark name infringement. FmF got in trouble for using the name 'burly'. Hence, 'gnarly'. The whole point was the change from 19 to 18 ga. metal. The fatty btw is still 19 ga. (sez the FmF website as of right now).

Any FmF reference I made was for 'late model' kdx..meaning '95 and later.

FmF currently lists a 'fatty' for the 86-88 and 89-94 kdx.

Fmf currently lists a 'gnarly' for the 95-02 200/220kdx in a 'desert' and 'woods' (rev/torque-30/35) design.

Seeing as the 2-stroke AND the kawi app pages from FmF seem to be puking (won't load), I'm not seeing anything about 'KB' anything.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=14893&highlight=burly+AND+gnarly+AND+fmf

CDave said (granted..over a year ago..)
The Fatty, Burly and Gnarly pipe are all exactly the same profile but FMF has changed the name of the pipes over the last 2 or 3 years. The size is dependent on whether it's a rev pipe or a torque pipe not which name FMF is using this year.

Educate me. ..please?

What's with the 'KB' designation, and how does it fit with the burly/gnarly disputes of old?

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well...except as I understand it, the name changed from burly to gnarly due to the trademark issues..and both of them are the same, anyway. Both were 18ga and the profiles (rev/torque) remained the same in either case of naming.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Given that...what would be the reason to stamp one 'KG30' and the other 'KB30'?

I still haven't heard from FmF about this. If/when I do, I'll post their response.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Heard from FmF. They said:
Delivered-To: ccmaint@cdsnet.net
X-MessageWall-Score: 0 (internetcds.com)
Subject: RE: FmF KG pipes
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:28:25 -0700
X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)

WHAT YOU HEARD WAS THE DIFFERENT YEARS. WE MARK THE PIPES WITH I.D. NUMBERS
AND THEIR PIPES AND THE ONE YOU HAVE ARE THE SAME

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 10:43 AM
To: tech@fmfracing.com
Subject: FmF KG pipes

I've bought an FmF KG-30 AND a KG-35 pipe for my kdx200. I change 'em
based on what kind of ride I want.

I've recently run into riders that say they have a KB (model number stamped
on the tab, they say) FmF pipe.

Is this a new profile? Somehow different from the KG? Is this something
new?

Thanks.

First I'd heard that the stamped number has anything to do with the year. And, if so, how to you get from 'KG' to 'KB'??

Anyway..that's the response. Sorry 'bout all the crap in the quotes. Something new and improved in the DRN software it seems? I've completely reformatted the post..so maybe this time it will be ok. I won't be able to tell until it posts, and if I try to fix it from there, it will just be hosed again. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom