Fmf Isde Spark Arrestor

gupman

Jun 6, 2003
Well my FMF ISDE has about a year on it and I thought I would do a repack, took out all the retaining bolts and I still cant get to the GOOEY inside! Anybody have any suggestions to remove the outer sleeve? I did a search here and the FMF site. NO HELP. One previous post said to apply a little heat but I have not had any luck with that either and the post did not say if heating it up worked :ugg:
Any one out there in KDX land have any tips. Going to a bigger hammer is my next option, but I dont think it will be too kind to the aluminum Thanx

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
Have you gotten this apart yet? if not look at the place where you removed the screws. Are there little inserts that have threads in them? If so take a Phillips head screw driver put it into the hole from the outside and hit it with a hammer these inserts will pop out. Then you will be able to remove the inside of the unit. If it is still a little stuck take a 2 x 4 about 2 feet long stand it upright on the ground while holding the end of the pipe that connects to the head pipe hit the mounting ring in a downward stroke on the 2x4 this should dislodge it.

Jim

gupman

Jun 6, 2003
Its a 01 kdx 200, The spark arrestor is the older style ISDE FMF long and flat on both sides. Not the newer Turbine Core. Thanks RazorBack I will try to knock the inserts out. I could always replace them with some small nuts and Loctite. I can see where they might hang up interfering with removing the sleeve

gupman

Jun 6, 2003
Thanks Jason and Wibby :cool: You guys are the best :aj: I even have the vise grip chain tool at home. I will be back in the saddle this weekend with a DE-SPOOGED S/A afterall, Hopefully the new jetting will keep it that way.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
yamaha combustion chamber cleaner really cleans away that spooge then I usually hit it with a torch and burn off the rest for a final cleaning

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Those inserts are probably Pem nuts and may need to be squashed a bit as different thickness materials require different nuts. Flat jaw vise grips work OK but you may need to run a tap throught the threads.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…