FMF Pipe and Silencer Installed - Observations

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
Just installed an FMF Gnarly Woods pipe and Turbine Core II Q silencer on my new 05 KDX200. Following are some observations:

Stock muffler weight = 5 lbs. 7 oz.
FMF Turbine Core II Q = 3 lbs. 2 oz.

Stock pipe weight = 8 lbs. 4.5 oz.
FMF Gnarly Woods = 5 lbs. 8.5 oz.

Net weight loss going from stock exhaust to FMF = 5 lbs. 1 oz.

I'm kinda bummed. Reading other posts, I was expecting a 7-10 lb. weight loss. For an instant, I was considering putting the stock silencer on, and returning the Turbine Core II Q. The 2 lb. weight loss almost didn't seem worth the $140, but it does look a bunch cooler. I'll be happy as long as the 5lb. weight loss pretty much offsets the radiator guards, hand guards, skid plate, and Baja kit I plan on installing. Still, this thing is a feather compared to my DRZ400S.

I took my time, and installation went very well. All of the bolt holes were dead-on, and the hardest part was pushing the exhaust pipe inside the cylinder. I used moly grease on the o-rings per the service manual, and then ran a bead of silicone around the outside.

Haven't had a chance to run it yet with the new exhaust, given the weather in NW PA, but I have noticed that the stock jetting is way rich.

luckymonkey

Dec 9, 2007
I do believe that jschiller has a point. It is more of the whole picture not just a part. The weight is also the power the bike produces as well. I take it that you like the trails or maybe some hare scrambles. Of course, protection is always going to bring some weight, but you are going to be able to ride out a lot of things you wouldn't want to attempt in the past. Your power to weight has changed, do the math on that for now.

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
I guess you both have a point. I've put 4000 miles on my DRZ400S in the last year, and I don't notice the weight unless I'm in the really tight stuff, or picking it up in a bad spot. I just started riding off road this last Spring, and I can do all of the harder state trails without too much trouble.

With the DRZ, I have a tendency to get in 1st. gear and lug it in the tight stuff. I was at a ride in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago with the DRZ, and really got my rear end handed to me. The hills were steep, muddy, and rutted. I tried tractoring up them in 1st. gear, and it just didn't happen. Every time I stalled out, I tipped over and had to pick it up. Two miles in an hour, 7-8 pick-ups (on hills), and I wanted to die. The younger guys on the 125's never slowed down or lost their momentum, and zipped right up the hills.

I'm hoping the lighter weight of the KDX will give me the confidence to keep my speed up when the going gets tough.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
The pipe alone will give your bike a whole new personality. The increase in power and torque over stock is mindblowing. At least on my 1993 200, and my current 2002 220. You do not change those parts for weight so much as performance. Come back with a ride report.

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
I hear you about the weather. Mine only has 5 miles on the clock, and it's killing me. At least I can use the next 5 months to buy and put on all the things I want.

Gnarly Woods (installed)
FMF Q Silencer (installed)
Pro Taper SE CR HI Bars (coming)
Cycra front triple clamp mount handguards (coming)
12 tooth sprocket (coming)
Boyesen power reeds
Devol skidplate
Devol radiator guards
Rejet
Baja Designs dual sport kit
Trailtech Endurance speedo
DOT tires
Fork springs
Flywheel weight (?)

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Pipes on 2 strokes are not like pipes on 4 strokes. On 4 strokes weight is a big benifit, they all do the same thing. On a thumper the silencer is the big thing and the pipe is just weight savings..

On a 2 stroke the pipe is everything, the performance increase is far more significant on the 2 stroke than on a 4 stroke.

You swith pipes on a 2 stroke for power, and it uncorks a boat load, any weight savings is just incidental and makes little difference really.

Petey

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
Dont be bummed about the expected loss of two pounds in the bike's wieght, you can always go on a diet to lose those two pounds lol, but the pipe will show a huge power difference. Enjoy the new power.

Red Rooster

Nov 27, 2007
What you're really going to be bummed about is the lack of power "achieved". Note, this is not to be confused w/power "perceived". Pipes alone will give you somewhat of a different decibel level but not much more in terms of power to the ground. If you want real power then send it to some of the porting guru's and let them do their stuff.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
LOL, so says the Honda Riding guy, who probably never rode a KDX. What he says may be true on the CR250 but that is just not true on the KDX man. thhe KDX is pretty corked up.

The peak power goes up 3-4 hp but the power everywhere else is what matters. It is called power under the curve.

The pipe makes a big difference. Not just in peak power, people obsess about that, but unless you ride a the peak power RPM all the time peak power means diddly, and outside MX, peak power means even less. A fat power curvve that is what gets you through the trails, not an exponential curve, and the pippe will fatten the curve.

The Pipe will wake up the power every where on the bike where you actually ride the bike. You WILL notice it on a KDX.

Boenheadde

Dec 17, 2007
Say "NO" to your abuser

I finally ended an abusive relationship with a DRZ400S a coupla years back. It's a good street bike, but awful in the tight stuff & deep woods. They love to stall & lock the rear wheel with that big compression right when you need power most, and then slam you down hard. My son still laughs about the time when he was leading me on his TTR-125 deep in the swampy woods of central NH and noticed I wasn't following him. He turned around & found the 'Z on the ground & me hopping around like an elf doing the goddam Black Forest dance..jeezus that steel tank was hard.

I sold it & bought a KDX220, she is sweet, light as a feather, smooth on the bottom like the trials bikes of my youth but with the blast in the middle so I can keep up with the kids on their MX bikes. I'm definitely faster with the DX and it's a lot easier to sling around, and much happier in the gumbo as well. Unless you're >6'4" and 300 lbs you will be very happy with the KDX compared to the Z, hope the mods work for you (mine is crate stock except for the Chase-Harper tool bag).

Good luck!

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
I bought the DRZ new last September, and it's really been a practical bike for the last 4000 miles. I'll ride 30 miles to the trails, ride 50 miles of trails, and ride the 30 miles back. She's always gotten me home.

Like you said...If you stall it in first gear and can't get a good footing, then you're going down. Luckily, with the lower corbin seat, I'm able to catch it much easier than with the stock seat. I'll go for a month without going down, and then I'll go down twice in a day. Both me and the bike have faired very well. Most of the time, I'm already on my feet by the time the bike hits the ground. A $20 front fender, new handguard shields, and she looks almost as good as new. The only thing I've absolutely had to replace were the stock bars after I bent them. She really is one tough b**ch.

So you think the lighter weight of the KDX will be very noticeable?

Boenheadde

Dec 17, 2007
It was sure easier to pick up & manuever. With smoother low-end it stalled alot less. Of course I had to pick it up off the ground a lot less often.

In general it was alot easier to keep the rubber side down!

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
'Z on the ground & me hopping around like an elf doing the goddam Black Forest dance..jeezus that steel tank was hard.

That's too funny. Guy told me "you're going to dent the steel tank eventually, so you might as well get the Clarke now and be over with it". I did, and I really like the 200+ mile range.

I'm also hoping I can get a little more air with the KDX. I'm lucky if I can get a foot with the DRZ.

Top Bottom