TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
Has anyone tried the new FMF Q exhaust on a YZ426, or any other bike? They claim it reduces the sound to 94 db with no reduction in power.:eek: Is this claim factual?

EK

Dec 3, 2000
After getting taken on a "quiet core" for the WR400F I had, I am skeptical of such claims.

Check out the write-up in the current Dirt Rider. They say it is quiet without losing horsepower. It sounds good.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

Brett

Feb 18, 2000
Really Quiet

I bought one for my 01 426. It is very quiet, no noticeable loss or gain in power..you hear the motor a lot more than with the stock exhaust. I took my Q exhaust off to ride wherever Idont need a sparkarrestor because the bike just sounds better. I wasn't impressed with the silencer for the price, $330. Really not an impressive part. But it did do the job of quieting it down.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Re: Really Expensive, Large and Chrome

I have had a Q on my ’01 YZ 426 for about a two months now. It did seem to richen things up a bit. It is definitely quieter, no question about that, this is especially noticeable at lower RPMs but it is probably more pronounced with the throttle open.

I have tried the stock can and the Q back to back on one occasion. I think the Q does steel some power down low, but it really shines up top. IMO it revs just like the stocker, maybe even a tiny bit better. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to discover the peak HP is the same on a dyno.

But I do think it robs a small, but noticeable, amount of low end.

I paid $290 for mine, but that is still too much. A two-stroke pipe seems more complicated to build, and is much cheaper. I recently had an entire exhaust, from the catalytic converter back, installed on my truck for less than what I paid for this pipe. I just don’t understand the pricing on these 4 stroke exhausts....

If I didn’t need a SA I would have just left well enough alone. But I am happy so far with the Q, and given the relative price of other systems would say it is worth the extra twenty (forty??) bucks.

Finally, I have heard of problems sealing with the header, but this seemed to occur on 400s only. I think the 426 header may be larger, because mine fits very snug and does not leak at all despite what must be more back pressure than stock.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
As big as a KTM can

I just wanted to add that I had a PC T4 on my ’00, and it robbed the top to pay the mid. I liked this at the time, but after riding my ’01 stock for a bit I found myself loving the rev that I sacrificed with the PC. The FMF Q loves to rev too.

If you like to short shift you may not like the Q at first. If you like to spin it a bit longer in each gear then you will be happy.

But to answer your question Tex, I don’t know for a fact that overall power isn’t reduced but it wouldn’t surprise me if this WAS true. I guess that is a bonus because, personally, I did not believe it when I bought it, I just wanted to try something a little quieter for a change.

Hope this helps.

Brett

Feb 18, 2000
? to Hick

Hick,

On my 01 YZ426, there was not enough room for thre gasket between the header and silencer, so i went with out it and had a snug fit with no noticeable leaks. Were you able to use that gasket or did you just run without it?

Thanks

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
No Gasket

I run it without any gasket. On a tip I picked up somewhere, maybe here, I did make a few wraps with some teflon tape at the end of the header.

No leaks.

Top Bottom