FMF Q SPARK ARRESTOR SILENCERs

m304051

Jul 19, 2003
Has anyone tried an FMF Q SPARK ARRESTOR SILENCER on KDX220 with a FMF -35 Gnarly woods pipe? I'm getting a -35 woods pipe for my 03 220 and want to be as quiet as possible, but I don't want to ruin the low end gain of the new pipe if a "Q" silencer might be too restrictive.
Thanks

peterryan01

May 6, 2003
I have both the FMF Q silencer and the FMF Gnarly woods pipe. I didn't notice too much difference between the Q and stock - it may have given mild performance enhancement, but it wasn't nearly as much difference than the FMF Gnarly add on. The biggest benefit to the Q is that it is lighter than stock, and as quiet as stock. I have an '01 KDX200, and I could barely tell a difference between the two when I put the Q on. I doubt the Q is too restrictive - if anything, it helped my bike breathe a little bit better, so it isn't as prone to stalling as it used to be. From my perspective, the Q was a good add-on, and probably worth the money. It is nice that it is re-packable - stock isn't (that I know of). If I had to do it again, I would probably do a RAD valve before the Q, though. If performance is what you are looking for, the RAD will probably be better than the silencer. The Q does look really cool with the Gnarly pipe, though. That is also a major plus. Hope this helps.

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I just did the same for my 03 KDX220, Gnarly woods pipe & turbine core II Q. Frankly, I didnt do any major comparison between the Q and original silencer. However, it looks and sounds very good. In my opinion, quieter is better. Power loss , if any, would have to be miniscule. Improved rider skills will provide much more performance than a noisy bike.

Yamahauler

Jun 9, 1999
I just put a Q w/gnarly on my '02 YZ 250 and I cannot tell any difference (sound or power) than with the stock pipe and silencer. It does give me a good handle :think:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I just went from the TC(1) to the 'Q' on my 200H1 with gnarly -35 (woods). Can't notice any power difference, but the reduced noise level is great. Now I hear more of the general crankcase racket than before. There is definately more noise escaping from the engine and sides of the pipe than though the end of the silencer. You won't be sorry if you go with the 'Q'. I have to admit that I haven't riden my KDX with the stock pipe or silencer. From my experience the TC(1) is the loudest followed by the TC-2, and the 'Q' is the quietest.

Top Bottom