FMF TC S/A Rebuild

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I know: I can call them, but in the event I get someone w/o a clue:

just how does one get it apart? It's the original Turbine Core spark arrester, the one with the straight extruded-aluminum body. If I remember right the leading edge is the removal (up stream) side. Wacking the overhanging ljoint with a punch left indented aluminum.

This model can be seen most often on KX500s and the first few years of the current KDX; early '90s YZ & KXs before the advent of low pipes.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
These are a bit of a pain to take apart, especially the first time. On mine the pipe-side pulls out from the aluminum body. Leave the tail end on the body. The first time I had mine apart, I slipped a small, thin bladed screw driver in the joint between body and the steel flange and GENTLY pryed the aluminum away from the flat sides. Once that was done, I was able to lock it into a vise (not too hard!) and twist the pipe end back and forth and get it apart. As I recall it took quite a bit of wrestling. Yes, the edge of the silencer can was deformed a little by the time it was taken apart.

When you're ready to put everything back together, run a thin bead of high temp silicone (the red stuff) around the steel flange, push it back in the body and gently tap the aluminum back into shape before installing the bolts.

When you're done, you won't be able to tell it was ever apart if you take your time and don't stretch the aluminum too much.

Subsequent repacking jobs will be much easier.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Ah yes! It's all coming back now - thanks. I've done just that once but it was four years ago, just after buying it, and couldn't remember. Last time I did a top end - 2-yeears ago - I did the easy thing & threw a spare on.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…