FOG's bike arrived today!!!!

munich

Jul 29, 2002
Hi everybody my new-used bike showed up today (2001-KDX220) nice shape, bought on ebay for $2525 including shipping. After reading several old post I decided to take the front and rear suspensions apart and grease everything.

Being a FOG I ordered up some Race tech springs, .44 fronts and 5.2 rear. Racetech recomends there 5W synthetic oil. A lot of post recomend Mobil 1 ATF (which i will be using). I also plan on using Mobil 1 2-stroke oil at 32:1, if anyone has had ant bad experiance with there oil I would apreciate a post! I'm in the car bussiness and get apretty good deal on Mobil products.

The bike came equipt with a Gnarly torque pipe and Turbine-2 spark arrester. I know this board ask a million questions about oil ratios and jetting, but I would apreciate some advice. I would like some advice for the following set up---above mentiond exhaust, Boysen #607 reeds (do you leave the reed stops on the cage with these reeds?) , TwinAir filter, air boxsnorkel removed and cover drilled.

I just plan on trail riding and do not plan on any hard charging MX type riding. My main question concers the main jet. Seeing as I have not riddin a bike in 20 years I do not feel comfortable going WOT in top gear a main recomendation for Minnesota riding (about 600' above seal level with varied temperature).

I can handle the test speeds on the needle, pilot and air screw settings.

Thanks everybody,
FOG-(fat old guy)

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Hi Munich,I just got another bike after 20 years(2000 KDX 220R) and I am right where you are as far as jetting and just getting to know the bike.I wonder if we could just put the rear on a jack lift and do a WOT for 30 seconds without having to soil our shorts. :D I gotta question. Do you have to remove the bearings in all the linkages or can you get grease in them without having to have any "Service Manual Special Tools"

Last edited:

munich

Jul 29, 2002
Hi Fuzzy, good to see I'm not the only old guy having an early mid-life crisis! The WOT on a jack stand wont work (no load on engine), and if it fell of the stand while doing it all your buddy's would have a good laugh for quite some time. From what I can see in the manual, the tools are just for replaceing the bearings, greasing them should be no problem. I am going to do them on my bike today. If I run into any problems I will send you a PM and tell ya what I ran up against.

Good Luck
FOG

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Sounds good Munich.I will greatly appreciate any tips you can give on the grease job.Thanks in advance.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
This has been posted for sure...hasn't it? Well, here it is (again, maybe).

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

CDave's site is a place you MUST read through. Jetting advice for all the mods you mention. Starting places, for sure! Your particular bike MUST be jetted to suit YOUR particular bike...and you, too!

The boyesen reeds come with their own 'stops'. You do NOT use the oem stops. BTW, the oem stops are heavy large metal 'tongues' that are only about 45º from the reed. The boyesen stops are little metal strips that amount to acting like not much more than a washer under the screws. This said cuz someone may have removed the oem stops from the oem reeds thinking they were hotrodding something.

re: removing the bearings.

If you remove 'em, replace 'em. No reason TO remove them, though. You can clean them and regrease them with them still in the part. If you don't have a lower mount shock bearing on hand, be prepared to let your bike sit while you wait for the one you order. I'll bet'cha it's toast!

No 'special tools' needed.

Pay close attention to the re-assy of the rear linkage assy. The bolt shoulders are a bit short and it's easy to tighten the pull rods AGAINST the shoulder instead of having the shoulder placed THROUGH the rod. This is particularly easy after you grease the assy, cuz the seals are full of grease making the bolts effectively even SHORTER!

You should be able to lever the rear on the kickstand...touch/bounce it some on the ground. There should be NO movement that's not activating the shock spring. NO free play whatsoever, nowhere.

Oh...set your race sag first thing. Well...kinda gotta after a spring replacement. Seems a commonly overlooked item...and about the most important suspension setting you can/should/have to do.

But hey!! ....Every FOG knows about that, I 'spose. ;)

Have a blast!!!

***edit***
BTW..use the best grease you can get. A waterproof marine application grease from belray has been used to good end by some posters. Your general one each moly chassis lube won't work. Well...won't work meaning you'll be replacing the bottom shock bearing OFTEN if you use it. I went through about four of 'em (replaced with sleeve and new seals at the same time) before I got some good grease (hydrotech parasyn70).

Brakeclean is a good product for cleaning the bearings. Makes a mess! But it works!! (eye protection a good idea)

Last edited:

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Thanks Canyancarvr for the excellent info.I go to the justkdx site often but the greasing instructions are rather vague.Doesn't get down to the fine details of the procedures.Also do you need any "Special Tools" for the stem head bearings?

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Taken from JustKDX Site "Disassemble the rear suspension linkage, using a clean rag wipe as much of the existing grease out as you can ( if it’s a new-to-you bike then clean the bearings out with solvent and air blow dry ) and repack the bearings. Don't forget to slather a generous layer on the seals either. You don't want to damage them before you even have a chance to ride. If you're really on the ball you do the same thing with the steering stem bearings too." Not too specific you know.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You won't be gunshy after you do it. Then you'll say, 'Gee..CDave did it just right'!!

Nothing 'speshul' for the steering head, neither. BUT!!...put it back together correctly. Basic roller bearing assy methods apply. Basically, with slight upward pressure on the stem, rotate back and forth as you tighten the stem nut to spec (manual says 29 ft/lbs. Good 'n snug will do). THEN...while continuing to hold the stem in place, LOOSEN the stem nut 'until it turns lightly', then retighten until it 'just becomes hard to turn.'

BTW...the head NUT (not the spanner ring) is tightened to 33ft/lbs.
**edit**
I should note that the above ' ' and torque settings are from the svc manual.

AND..while I've read of riders doing stem maintenance with the front end assembled, I wouldn't try it. Way too much weight to mess with. It only takes a few minutes to slip the forks out, anyway. With NO weight on the stem, it's much easier to feel the 'snick' of a bad bottom bearing. If you can feel it, you might as well replace it. Chances of a cleaning and regreasing fixing that is about zip-point.

Greasing the stem is a great idea. Make it part of your regular maintenance. If the bike is 'new to you', do it now!!

Last edited:

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Thanks again CanynCarvr.Any wisdom you share shows that you care. :D It is greatly appreciated.

munich

Jul 29, 2002
Hi everybody I had my 14 year old son service the rear suspension and replace the rear spring. It was quite easy. I want to thank canyncarvr for the words of encouragement and advice. I'll probably post again after the kid does the fork springs and head bearings.

Good riding,
FOG

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I had the same mid life (42 years old then), hadn't ridden in 20 years, bought a KDX 2 years ago, experience. After you get used to riding and the bike WOT runs in 4th or 5th gear are no problem. In fact, it won't be enough. Then you will have to do the R&B carb mod and re-jet all over again. ;)

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Amen Jim Crenca ! I am 41 and feeling as though I'm 14 again(1st bike was brand new Honda XL70 at 14 yrs old).Just looking at my KDX is a fantastic feeling.Now I need to hurry up and get it trail worthy so I can get those butterflys in my stomach again.Dang,I should have bought a bike way sooner than this. :aj:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…