yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Has anybody tried to build fold down beds in an enlosed trailer? I know MX727 had a bench in his, and we're looking at something along those lines (loosely) but actual beds. Preferrably 2, like bunk beds. Here is a picture from haulamarks website that shows pretty much what we're looking at doing http://www.haulmark.com/interior/ES.JPG (bottom left). Anybody built something like this? Anybody tried? Thanks for any help you might offer.

tcarp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
I built a bench much like mx727. I started out thinking I would make it large enough for a bed but decided not to go that route, but with what I do have I can put all my weight on laying down and feel very comfortable that its going to hold up. I would think that you could do something just like this but only on a larger scale and just use industral velcro to hold the matress on when in the open position. When in the closed position you could either not have the mattresses attached, thus having the slab flush against the wall or use a thicker board where the slab attaches to wall and have you hinges further out. Then use an eye hook and fastener to hold them up with the mattress still attached.

here is a link to some pics of my trailer.

tcarp.com/haulin/haulin.htm

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Eric:

I am getting ready to fab something similar myself. Let's see if I can explain it.

On the right side of the trailer I am mounting a fold down plywood platform with a 3 inch foam pad. It will have a set of aluminum legs similar to the photo you referenced. It will pivot on a piano hinge mounted 6 inches from the wall. When in the up position, it will leave a 3 inch gap between the wall and the pad, which will be filled by .... a loose pad and plywood combo that will be set on a cleat along the left wall. It will also have fold down legs. I am planning to leave about 12~18 inches between the beds (I have a 7 foot wide Pace trailer). Make sense?

I have chosen this route as I have internal wheel wells and am also working on fabricating a way to haul bikes in the trailer at an angle like MX-727 and Tcarp has theirs laid out. Mine will have to rise up over the wheelwells in a to be determined manner. :laugh: The beds will be slightly above the level of these ramp thingies.

I figure that the compression of the foam will hold it secure in the up (or closed) position as long as I have 2 or 3 screen doors latches along the length of the bed.

I am planning on making mine about the width of a cot and wrapping the foam with some ultra sheek naugahide. I will sleep in a sleeping bag on the bench/bed ...

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I know Bonehead (David) built two in his trailer. Try sending him a PM and see if he has any suggestions to add. :thumb: Have fun with your project.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
tcarp - That is one sweet trailer layout. Great job...

Are the hanging cabinets made out of wood or plastic? If plastic, where'd you get them? Brand? I would like something similar, but don't want the weight of wood hanging on the walls.

BTW, what size is your trailer? Looks to be about 7x16.

FWIW, I use a cot. Very comfortable and roomy, but you do have to setup/break down each time.

tcarp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
Smit-Dog:

Thanks!

The Cabinets are made from plastic. I bought them at Lowes about a year ago and they are made by Rubber maid.

7x16 and still wish I had more room :)

I built the bench after seeing what Todd did with his (well, you can kinda tell I modeled the whole trailer after his. He`s always been a good leader :) ) and have been extreamly happy with it. Figured I could always go back in and make a bigger one if the wife ever kicks me out and I need a place to sleep.

tcarp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
opps...Your right they are Black and Decker...so much for my fading memory:)

Yes, there needs to be something in the hole. I bought padlocks that all used the same key to keep it simple.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Tony, my dad has already started building ours. I will get a drawing of what we are doing and get it scanned and posted.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
We're going to buy a trailer sometime before DW '04. Ryanoa is a cabinet maker & finish carpenter & could make some really cool fold away bunks, but we're just as comfortable on our folding cots with a little egg-crate foam. I know it's not as cool as folding bunks, but it works.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Well our stuff is finished and has been tested. Slept 4 great. I need to get out and snap some pictures with them up and down.

enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
We also use the cot method. Bought the heavy duty kind with aluminum fold up frames, used electrical conduit straps to attach them to the wall in the "OUT position. and when your done, just fold it up against the wall and your done.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
That sounds nice, but wait till you see the slick set-up we've got. Senior KX, I'll try and get out and take some pictures tomorrow during the day. If you like what you see I could probably find the concept drawings if that would help too.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Eagerly awaiting the pics! Sorry just wantedto get an email notification on this post , because I do want to see the pics!

Kevin

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I'm looking at doing the same for the garage in my All American toybox.  I haven't found anything that I can purchase yet, but if I do I'll let you know.  I'd appreciate the same!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I have been designing a set of folding bunk beds like the ones in Smit-Dog post. I am going to try and get the cad drawings wrapped up this weekend.

I'll post up when finished and if people want a copy we'll figure out how to get it to you.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Ok sorry everybody, I finally got the pictures uploaded into my gallery. They'll be availabe as soon as they get approved. Sorry it took so long. Feel free to email me (eric_looney@hotmail) or pm me if you have any questions about what we've got.

Top Bottom