Follow up to "KTM 520 Pushing/diving"

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Follow up-

The Suspension came back from the shop Friday. I swapped out the stock front tire for a new 739FA. Just bouncing on it in the garage I could tell it was much stiffer. No spring changes, valving only.

Sunday I had time for a two hour ride. I took the bike out on some of the exact same trails so I could judge the difference. (Wagon Wheel / Red Mountain area) Night and Day! Much better! We have one rock garden down hill that is almost like trials, very slow, tight, little drops and turns. On the 520 before this trail gave me fits! Balance and weight shifts are critical, and the diving would really add to the difficulty, this time, no problem. The bike tracks and steers much better! Tried one very steep descent 3 times ( Ya, I tried to climb it 3 times! LOL!) to see how forks handled on the decent...much better, I didn't notice any diving. Afterthat, I rode a high speed whoop section to see what the "price" was going to be for the new slow speed compression control. To my initial surprise it was better in the whoops! After a bit I found myself charging some of the sections to see if it would bottom or start to head shake...nope. :-) I think the change in valving let the fork work more in the initial part of the stroke, before it must have been packing and running mid stroke. In the sand washes and single track the bike tracked much much better. As long as I did my part the front end stayed stuck and I could slide the back without the front joining it! Power slides in sand washes are such fun on a 520!

Going in, I really though I'd need stiffer springs, but sag is fine and
things are much improved with just the valving/tire changes. I think the overall improvement was about 50/50 tire and suspension! After handling the stock tire, I noted it's a VERY hard compound with short stiff knobs, good combination for wear, but not for grip. The D-739FA was much better. ( I can hear Strick "I told you so!" LOL) I've gotta agree with throwing the stock rubber in the trash, right off! (or give them to somebody you want to
slow down!) Only down side I noted overall was keeping the back end hooked up climbing. The new stiffness in back caused it to bounce over rocks under power climbing. I think I can work this with clicker and preload...being careful not to upset the new found improvement in handling! :-) I think that the MXC tank contributes a bit to the climbing/descending problems, it makes it difficult to really get forward on the climbs and it carries the fuel very high and forward on the descents. I think an IMS/CLARKE/EXC tank would help some in the "steeps" by keeping the fuel lower and letting the rider forward.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas!

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by RetSenior
Good write up Wild Hare, Sounds great. Did fastmann227 do your Suspension?

LMAO - Good one Sr.!

Hey Chris. I get to say I told you so twice! I am really glad everything turned out. Wanna buy some offsets?:mad: :debil: :mad:

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Hey I'd like to see how fast some of the mods around here would eat Fastspamm227's lunch! LOL :)

Strick, I was thinking of you as I swapped tires... "man this thing is HARD, and look at how short the knobs are compaired to the 739! Wow, I bet Stricks right!" LOL!:confused:

Offsets? You know anybody who can get me a good price!?:eek:
Can believe him and his buds thought we were going to just let them BBQ Jeb..... NOT!:p

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I think Jeb and you 2 gave them the feedback they deserved. I also felt it best for me to stay out. I think my verbage would have been more like Jeb's --> Harsh!

Jeb and I battle for the Jeopardy buzzer all the time buying internet parts, he is always a standup guy when I get to the buzzer first. And when he rings in first, I try not to show how Mad:mad: I am.

Have fun!

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
I figured you were lerking. I wasn't going to post either as I have a hard time with negative post. But when they were all coming out of nowhere I had to step in. Hopefully they are gone and don't ride KTM's.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I was going to stay out, but I've been in Jeb's spot and it can feel a bit lonely when they are all kicking you by yourself....

I wrote Brian in private and asked him to lock it... which I see he did. :D

I kind of hope they show up over here so we can have a Weenie Roast!:p

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
You and JEB had a handle on it but then those 3 post by the newbie's was what did it for me. I was kind of curious how many more of Fastspamm227's crew were going to join just to post there words of wisdom.

Top Bottom