angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
I too would like to believe that next years supercross season will be great with James Stewart moving up. However, I refuse to fool myself into thinking that ANYONE has a chance against Stewart. Everyone will be headed back to the drawing board next year. At least the 125 class will be interesting again. I hope Reed enjoys this season, because they'll all battle for 2nd next year.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I don't know, I wouldn't be fooled into the believing that Stewart is going to dominate 250s, but, both 125 & 250s are going to tighten up.

I thought he was going 250 for the outdoors???, maybe we'll get a hint of what's to come

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
There may be a lot of pain and suffering as everyone struggles to keep Bubba in sight.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
What's most amazing about him (to me) is his ability to french the bike and make it land on the downside of a jump in a way that takes no forward motion away from the bike. Also, last week Reed said in the post conference (Atlanta) that, in response to a question as to why a 125 rider was posting faster laptimes...'he's got better corner speed at the moment, and that's something we're all going to need to work on.' At least he's honest about it.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
super rat said:
125's=Corner speed=fast laps
Than why don't all the 250 guys ride 125's if they would be faster on them?

Daytona was a WIDE open track as far as SX is concerned. IMO the more wide open the track the faster Bubba is. The other SX tracks this year have been FAR more tight and by your assesment more adventagous to good corner speed, yet Daytona, the most open SX track was the first race where a 125 had the fastest lap time. With out the exit acceleration of the 250 the 125's have had to be substaintially faster just to be close to the 250's times on a tight course.

125=half the displacement=half the exit acceleration=slower lap times (minus the Bubba factor)

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
ktm033 said:
I thought he was staying with the 125's outdoors

I don't know, I dont follow SX that close..........Don't get me wrong, I love watching this guys on the track, I just don't think there's going to be much checking out like we've seen he last 2 yrs

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Thump said:

Daytona was a WIDE open track as far as SX is concerned. IMO the more wide open the track the faster Bubba is. The other SX tracks this year have been FAR more tight and by your assesment more adventagous to good corner speed, yet Daytona, the most open SX track was the first race where a 125 had the fastest lap time. With out the exit acceleration of the 250 the 125's have had to be substaintially faster just to be close to the 250's times on a tight course.

125=half the displacement=half the exit acceleration=slower lap times (minus the Bubba factor)

So the key to getting low lap times is acceleration? Damn it!! To think of all of the time I have wasted working on corner speed, all I need is a pipe and a port job. LOL!!

I'm just busting on ya thumper. It's no secret that I'm not the worlds biggest Bubba fan but the lap time thing is nothing new 125's have always turned lap times that are close to 250's so the acceleration thing is out the window, sorry. You don't really think that 125's pull only half as hard as a 250 do you?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I know you're just bustin my chops Rat. The lap time thing is new this year though. Yes 125's in the past have posted times close to the 250's but not every week the way Bubba is doing this year and I don't recall a 125 ever posting the fastest lap time of the main in SX or MX.

Whether you are a fan of Bubba's or not you should get use to him visiting the podium. He is not just a good rider, he does things on a bike that make you question what that Newton fellow had to say about gravity. Bubba is here to stay and while he is here he is going to win some titles.

Thump's prediction for 2005 (just an opinion)
No one in the 250 class will be able to run with him. Not in SX, not in MX. I doubt he will win every race because he will probably go down a few times and give someone else the opportunity, but I would be surprised if he gets beat head to head the way Kdub has challenged Reed and Carmichael.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
There once was this guy who went by the name O'show........ I think he put down some pretty fast lap times on a 125 at this BIG race in europe..... It was a HP track big hills and what not.... Nothing new with what Bubbas doing, Sorry. I get a kick out of guys who think that you go faster on a bigger bike, at our level especially.

Hey man, I got eyes and I have seen Bubba ride, He's a freak of nature no doubt. We will see when he moves up if he has the heart to beat RC for a MX title, till then it's just alot of talk. I don't think your out in left field with your prediction thought, the kids got mad skills, there is no denying it.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
he does things on a bike that make you question what that Newton fellow had to say about gravity.

Newton was obviously wrong, but how did Bubba know it? Did Sr bust out some Relativity lessons? I doubt it. Witness a special creature of God.

We will see when he moves up if he has the heart to beat RC for a MX title, till then it's just alot of talk.

The 'heart' is optional. His love for riding, fame and winning is so much more effective for him than 'heart', it's not funny. Consider those races where he did fall, then worked his way through half the field in about 1.5 laps. Is that heart? Talent? Desire? What the hell does it matter? He'll do the same thing next year anyway.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Thump said:
QUOTE]

Interesting question. Overboring (to reach displacement) is allowed, but I'm thinking the homologation thing would stop anyone from riding a 125 in the 250 class.

Could you imagine the uproar?

Perhaps with some creative rules interpretation . . . .

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Here's my comment on Bubba: I was in the stands and he was clearly faster than even Reed! He had two sections of the track that no one else could get through as smoothly and quickly as he did. I'm sure you saw this on TV, after the 250 main, Reed limped over to the podium; Bubba looked like he could've gone another 15 laps.

B

biglou

Timr-Reed also went down hard and knocked himself silly right before the finish.

Jon K.-I just read a section in the AMA rules in the American Motorcyclist mag about being disqualified/fined/penalized for riding a bike of improper engine size. The example given was something like: "Example-riding a 200cc bike in the 250-up class", or something similar to that. Not sure how this all translates to the SX, however.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Hey Doc, don't underestimate how big of a part Heart is in a champion. Steel city this year is a good example on the size of RC's heart. Do you rember how fast Bradshaw was? But Stanton......

Maybe Bubba is so fast that RC's heart will be a non factor. I don't know neither does anyone else, but I doubt it.

And Bubba only did 15 laps, support class and all. I don't have Speedvision so I didn't see the race but I heard Bubba looked spent after the 15 laps, there is no shame in that, I'm just saying.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Yes, I know that Reed went down right before the finish. Dr. Bodnar came over to check him out. Reed stayed on his bike for a couple of minutes before he limped over to the podium.

When Bubba finished the race, he rode out onto the daytona sign, burned a donut, spray painted the #3 in the D in Daytona, then ran to the fence to throw his gloves, goggles, helmet and Jersey into the crowd, then ran over to the podium to give an interview. I'm pretty sure that 5 more laps wouldn't have been that big a deal for him.

It wasn't that hot since it was night time. Earlier in the day, it was very steamy with high temps and high humidity.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I'm amazed that these guys can even speak after a race on that track. Reed does 20 laps and goes down hard, possibly cracking ribs or whatever, then has a mic in his face giving an interview before he can even get off his bike and he's not even out of breath. :worship:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
super rat said:
There once was this guy who went by the name O'show........ I think he put down some pretty fast lap times on a 125 at this BIG race in europe..... It was a HP track big hills and what not.... Nothing new with what Bubbas doing, Sorry. I get a kick out of guys who think that you go faster on a bigger bike, at our level especially.
That race in Europe that you speak of.... Who had the fastet lap time and what were they riding? Who actually won the race? And by what margin did he win?

I know the answers but it would be far better to hear you tell me in this thread. :moon:

The O'show was fast that day no doubt, but not the fastest, and he did not do it on a weekly basis to the athletes racing the AMA MX series.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
truespode said:
If I remember correctly Bubba had the fastest lap time last year at Budd's Creek.
Ivan
Good call Ivan :thumb: :
02:20.500 Moto 2 RICKY CARMICHAEL HON 250

02:20.130 Moto 1 JAMES M STEWART KAW 125

I have the feeling Bubba is clocking plenty of hours on the 250 at every private track team green can book. I'm not sure when his contract expires (I heard sometime this year) but there is a factory that is going to pay him a LOT of money in 2005. Hon...d.....!!!

Top Bottom