Jun 17, 2008
Ok, I have just started, my first bike being the Yamaha 2008 TTR230 and I'm really really enjoying it!!!

quick question on the proper foot position for normal level trail riding:

How should I place my feet while riding on a level trail while wearing my new boots (Tec 3's)?

The boots almost force me to set up on the bike, very close and kind of hugging the fuel tank - these seems very cool as I think I'm able to control the bike much easier and better in this position. So.... about my foot position - when wearing these bike boots it seems they force me to have my foot angled with my toes pointing down towards the ground a little - in these boots with the TTR230 shift lever at the stock position (I didn't move it) it is right under the shifter and I'm finding is more easier to shift, which is a good thing. However, is it a good idea to have my toes pointing downwards towards the ground like this though?

What are you thoughts on foot position for 'normal level' trail riding (I'm aware that there are different foot positions for different terrain, so I'd like to first focus on normal flat trail riding, first).

Thoughts/comments are very welcomed on this topic.

thank you in advance for your time here.

Jun 17, 2008
... actually if anyone has any pictures ( or can take a quick picture ) of their foot position while seating on your bike to post here, that would be great.

thank you

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sounds about right to me..

But, you need to learn to stand up.. The more you stand, the better you will be able to control the bike.

Jun 17, 2008
indymx: thanks for your reply!

You mention standing up while riding. Can you give me an example of terrain or situations where it is best to stand while riding?

Also, I'm guessing you'd have your feet flat on the pegs while standing?

Ball of your foot on the peg when standing or middle of your foot on the peg while standing?

thank you!!!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Hmmm..

Most any terrain is good for standing.. The only time you should be on the seat is when you need to get more weight on the rear wheel for traction, or when you need to get your center of gravity low for turns.. Some turns can be taken while standing though.

As for the position of your feet on the pegs, I generally will put my arches on the pegs.. Really it's something that you'll figure out the more you ride.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'll ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs unless I'm planning to shift or brake, standing or sitting. Keeps the toes out of the way if they tend to dangle.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I was told by an MX instructor to ride on the balls of your feet at all times and to move your feet forward to the shifter and brake only when needed. That gives you one more hinge in your body's natural suspension.

If you ride on the arches / middle of your feet, your feet are either over, under, or beside the brake pedal and shifter. Bad to be under when you need to press them down. To advoid this, most people that ride on their arches point their toes outward to keep from hitting the brake and shifter. If your toes are out, your knees are out and you can't grip the bike properly with your knees.

I try to ride on the balls of my feet, except that I move to the arches for landing when I expect it to be hard. He told me not to do that, either, but I don't feel comfortable landing hard on the balls of my feet.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Gary Bailey will encourage you to ride on the balls of your feet (for many of the above reasons) or else he will beat you with a stick.... you learn fast that way.

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
I kept spraining my ankles when I rode with the balls of my feet on the pegs and landed hard after a jump. Now I ride with center of my feet on the pegs most of the time, works better for me.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
groundeffect_db said:
quick question on the proper foot position for normal level trail riding:
However, is it a good idea to have my toes pointing downwards towards the ground like this though?

:ohmy: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Aside from the reasons Gomer gave the main reason to ride on the balls of your feet on trail is to eliminate the danger of getting your toes in between a rock or tree root and your pegs. When your toes dangle over the front of the pegs they are vulnerable to getting crushed between the pegs and a rock. When this happens it can stop you dead and flip you over the bars and can break many toes and actually turn some of your toes around backwards in your boot. :yikes: Don't ask me how I know this. ;) It is a whole bunch of fun getting your boot off when this happens.

Right now your boots are new and probably stiff and won't bend at the toes. After they break in it will be easier to to stand on the balls of your feet and it will become second nature to you if you practice standing on them. Like Indy said, standing also gives you much better control of your bike. Allow the bike to be loose and move around under you. It can also keep you from crashing when you come upon a bad section of trail at speed. You are more likely to get tossed over the bars when you are sitting down then when you are standing in the attack position. The attack position is when you are standing on the balls of your feet in a semi- crouched position with your head up over the handlebars. It takes a lot of practice to maintain this position and your legs will get tired at first until you build them up. Practicing squats or deep knee bends will help you build up your legs.

That Gary Bailey guy that two strokes was talking about makes people remove their seats to teach them to stand while riding.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Ol'89r said:
. . . the main reason to ride on the balls of your feet on trail is to eliminate the danger of getting your toes in between a rock or tree root and your pegs. When your toes dangle over the front of the pegs they are vulnerable to getting crushed between the pegs and a rock. When this happens it can stop you dead and flip you over the bars and can break many toes and actually turn some of your toes around backwards in your boot.
I was going to mention that, but didn't want to gross anyone out. Makes it awful hard to walk.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XRpredator said:
I was going to mention that, but didn't want to gross anyone out. Makes it awful hard to walk.

Makes it even harder to get your boot off. :yikes: :laugh:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I find moving the shifter up makes me comfortable. Easier to slide the toe of the boot under, and less vulnerable to logs/rocks/ruts. I somehow seem to end up with my feet off the pegs in a flapping flag position most of the time though. ;)

Top Bottom