For Sale ..."Mint Condition"

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
On a whim I bought a 2003 KX250 on E-Bay recently with the thought of making a Woods/Play bike or with an eye on maybe going back to the premix side. Figured the price was right and worst case scenario I could play the differences in the Canadian/US market and flip it for a profit up here should I decide not to keep it.

Price was right and the WI seller was willing to deliver it to Minneapolis for me to pick up on my way to Millville for a raceday so what the heck pulled the trigger since this was a top notch bike!

Here is part of the E-Bay description:

" I am a very particular person and I take very good care of my stuff. No leaky tranny or fork seals on this bike. I recently replaced the rear shock linkage. I also recently replaced the chain and sprockets. Clutch pulls nice and has plenty of grab. You get it. This bike is 100% race ready. As you can see from our rating we are a very trustworthy ebayer."

Picked up the bike from a 3rd party that he had left the bike with and the transaction was very smooth overall and the bike appeared at a quick glance to be decent. Didn't really go over it well at that time as being E-Bay the transaction was done and this was a third party just serving as a delivery point.

Now we get into getting the bike ready to ride, keeping in mind this is "100% Race Ready" so I figured just change the oil check the air filter and hit the track right?

So far in my tear down I've found:

- Left fork seal spewing oil
- large hole in bottom of front fender I somehow didn't notice in photo's.
- Torn air filter, although intake is clean.
- Sand packed so tight under CS sprocket cover I had to remove cover to get it out as one hardened piece.
- Left rad mounting tab broken off rad.
- One of two silencer mounts broken off subframe and hanging loose.
- Left Cylinder/Engine mounting bracket broken in half.

I'm not pissed about what I got from the point of view I could have not acted on a whim and bid last minute without time to do more research on the bike but seriously in whose world could this bike be considered "100% Race Ready" :laugh:

Should have just found some extra cash and bought Wolf's Zook!

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe let them make it right or suffer the bad rating on ebay.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Ebay is a great place to find deals when it works out. I bought an A/V receiver recently it was "tested and working perfectly" yet i get it and it doesn't send any signal to the speakers at all. Good luck getting everything sorted out. I know how much of a pain it is, especially if you are planning on sending it back.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I guess a "spewing" fork seal is not "leaky," It's "spewy" !! Let's hope the tranny isn't "spewy" too !! Good luck. I've had mostly good experiences on the 'Bay, but a few that really chapped my butt, too.

Top Bottom